I am definitely liking having only one class to teach. I am trying to use the mornings to do school work rather than bringing it home. It has been nice to be able to focus more on helping my own kids after school and not feeling like I am being pulled in so many directions!
Choir practice was a little more difficult tonight. We have our ward conference next month and the choir is trying to do some special musical numbers. I have never accompanied a choir where I am playing something different than what they are singing. I don't know if it would be so hard but the chorister is learning how to lead and is never on the downbeat. I am relying on her so that I know where I am at but it isn't working. Wish us luck!
Wednesday 8/19/09
This afternoon there was another baby shower. One of the girls that it was for was one of the first ladies that talked to me at church. She speaks a little bit of English and is the one that asked me to teach the quilting group. I made a patchwork quilt for her. I sure wish I could find some nice flannel here!! Oh, well. Everybody loved the quilt and now they all want to learn how. I am excited to work with everybody but at the same time, it was very depressing for me. I was really struggling to understand people and felt a little isolated. I guess that is to be expected.
Morgan and Cole have also been a struggle. They have been fighting NONSTOP this week!! I don't know what is wrong with them but it has really made it tough on everybody!
Thursday 8/20/09
Today we found out that one of Cole's friend is LDS. His friend, Angel, was pretty excited when he found out that Cole is LDS also.
The school is getting ready for their science fair. They do the projects in groups and Morgan is with three other kids.
Friday 8/21/09
I don't know what it is about Fridays, but I love them. This morning I sent everybody off, did some exercises, cleaned, went to the grocery store (1st time by myself since we got here!!) and to the market.....all before I had to be at the school to teach at 10:30. Class was really short and easy since we spent the majority of the time decorating pinatas. Of course it got a little loud (maybe somebody will complain and they'll finally put a door on my classroom!!) and very messy. But everybody had fun!
After school Morgan went home with one of her friends. I think she was pretty excited to get to do something without the family!
Shortly after the rest of us got home, Chris came home also. It was really nice to go outside of the development for a family walk. Cole loves to leave the development but we are still a little hesitant to go very far! We also got to go to the top of the arches at the guard gate. We've all wondered what was up there since we first moved here. There is a little bathroom and a room to sleep in and an open area to watch over the community.
This week has been a huge struggle with the kids....except Alysa. She has been such a good kid this week and unusually happy. I decided to reward her by taking her out to dinner just the two of us. Luckily for me she picked McDonalds which I felt fairly confident in ordering at! Each time I have to order something, it gets a little easier. Alysa was so giggly and had a great time. We even saw another student from the school there. Alysa insisted on getting a sundae afterwards and eating it in the car. Why I let her talk me into letting her eat it in the car is beyond me! She spilled everywhere!
The rest of the evening was spent watching a movie and waiting for Morgan to come home. Morgan's friend, Maria, is in my class and has pretty good English. Her parents however don't speak any English so I was very nervous about calling to see when she was coming home. We called back and forth several times before she finally came home at 9:00!! I don't think Chris is going to deal with the teenage/dating/staying out late years very well!
Saturday 8/22/09
This morning was the Family Day for school. Everybody met at the school and caravanned from the school to a park. It is a special park that is only opened to government people. Michelle's dad just happens to be a congressman here so he was able to get the park for us. It was very nice and had a swimming pool, playground equipment, basketball court, soccer field, etc. We did all of the games/activities and then all the families had a picnic. I met the parents of one of my students who both speak really good English. The husband has a courier/shipping business where he goes to the states every 4 weeks and buys stuff that he imports from the states. He said that he'll get Chris some Dr. Pepper on his next trip!
Sunday 8/23/09
Today has been another trying day for me. I am at my wits ends with Morgan and Cole! (Yes, my perfect children cause me grief sometimes!!) Add to the mix that I got very little sleep last night and then going to church and feeling frustrated about the language didn't help. The only thing that is keeping me going right now is knowing that Chris' boss is on his way here and hopefully will bring something exciting from the states!! That, and hoping that I get a chance to talk to some family tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment