Tuesday, September 15, 2009

9/15/09-9/17/09

Tuesday 9/15/09
With all of these crazy things we have been doing, I often wonder how much of it the kids really will remember? Hopefully we are documenting it and taking enough pictures that it will help the kids to remember!
This morning everyone's bums hurt a little but we're not as sore as expected.
We decided to go to the fair and see what it was all about. With all of the road closures and the swarms of people, we finally decided that it wasn't worth it. We drove around a little but kept getting turned around because of road closures for the parades/fair. Once we got away from the area of the festivities, the streets were empty. It was almost dreary! We went home and enjoyed the rest of the day relaxing. Alysa and Morgan pretended "Activity Days/Faith in God" and Cole and I picked some of the wild flowers growing in our development.
We finished off a great day with eating fried navajo tacos. I really can't stand the smell of things frying but they were pretty good!!

Wednesday 9/16/09
Chris had to go back to work today but the kids and I were able to enjoy another lazy cleaning day. It is always amazing to me what things wind up under the kids beds!
We had our ward party at 6:00. We got there about 6:15/6:30 and a bunch of the women were preparing food in the kitchen so Chris told them that I need to learn how to cook. (He failed to clarify that I need to learn to cook the traditional Guatemalan food!!) They put me to work stuffing some glob of something white and green into a leaf from a corn plant. I had to wrap it all up and then put it in a pot to cook. There wasn't a single sister there that spoke any English so we were really winging it with the communication. They showed me what they wanted me to do and hopefully I did it right!! (At least nobody went back and redid the ones that I made......that I know of!!) After a little bit, we ran out of leaves so somebody ran to their house and pulled some off the plants and brought them back....dirt and all!!
After a LONG program (probably not so long for the people that understood what was going on!!), we finally had dinner at 8:15!! (People eat really late here and my 5:00 dinner eating children were starving!!) We had some sort of carrot topped tostadas, some sweet brown blob with beans in the middle, and the corn leaf things that I made. There was also the traditional rice-milk stuff to drink. It definitely wasn't the tastiest of food and the kids weren't too thrilled about it. They kept spilling everything all over. I'm not sure if it was a way to get out of eating the food or if it was purely accidental but they were very happy to get to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when we got home!! They did however enjoy the coconut bars that were there. They came in four different flavors/colors and I think I might have to get the recipe!

Thursday 9/17/09
The kids and I didn't leave the house today. The kids were up so late last night that they actually slept in....until 7:00!! It was a definite pajama day! The kids kept entertained watching movies, playing outside, pretending, working on school projects, etc. My all time favorite was their dancing to a song that I found on youtube. It's the crazy frog popcorn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXrnKGSShMk&feature=related
Here's a link so you can actually hear the music and see the robots dancing that the kids were imitating. This video of the kids is DEFINITELY going to be blackmail material when they get a little older! I can't believe that Chris was able to hold the camera still to video tape them....we were laughing pretty hard! I think they miss the Dance Dance Revolution!
I am definitely enjoying a much needed break from school. I just wish that everybody could get rid of this horrible cough that we all have and can't seem to kick!


1 comment:

  1. Do they get their dance moves from Chris? That was pretty good, guys!

    ReplyDelete