We had lots of rain today. I took the kids to the club instead of finishing schoolwork. We are so ready to be done with school!!
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
The kids spent a lot of time digging in "the wild". The wild is the empty lots around our house. The weeds/plants grow so fast here that they have to cut everything down twice a year.
The sister missionary that plays the flute came to choir tonight. She was asked to play for our ward conference. During the practice the bishop came in and said that we could not have the flute for conference! UGH!! The songs sounded so good!
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
I had my very last piano lessons today. The Orellanas and the Sacs came over early and we had a potluck lunch. The food was excellent. Generally, the food in Guatemala isn't very good, but Lily and Blanca are both excellent cooks!
After eating a ton at lunch, we got to go to dinner at the Perez family's home. He is our new bishop. The food again was delicious. Sis. Perez said that she didn't make traditional food because she was afraid we wouldn't like it. The food that she did make was delicious and the kids downed it! They also gave us a beautiful table runner of typical fabric. I wonder how I am going to decorate our next house with all of our Guatemalan stuff!!
| Cole, Hermana Perez's mother, Laina, Norma Perez, Obispo Perez, Alysa, Kristina, Morgan |
| Norma Perez and her mother. |
Thursday, June 30, 2011
We packed today. Not to go to the states, but to go to El Salvador. We thought we were done with border crossings, but we decided to make one last trip to go to the temple open house in San Salvador. I am very excited for the kids to see inside a temple that is finished and furnished to see what it is that we have been doing for the last 2 1/2 years!
Friday, July 1, 2011
The kids were a little excited to go today. They were all up and ready to go before 7:00!! They went outside to play, and I didn't feel a bit sorry about them making noise since the neighbor's dogs are always keeping us up! (I don't sound vengeful, do I?)
The drive to El Salvador took us 8 hours. We didn't make any wrong turns, and went to the correct border crossing! The drive was a little tough for me because I kept looking at everything and realizing that I'm not going to get to see all of this for much longer. I have a feeling that I will be bawling all the way to the airport!
As soon as we got there, we checked into the hotel and changed into our church clothes. We ran over to the temple, hoping to get in. We were pleasantly surprised at how quickly we got in. We had an English tour guide. The tour was great, but it was really rushed. There had already been 8,000 people that first day, with another 3,000 expected that night! I wish we could have taken more time to fully appreciate everything, but that probably would have caused a huge backlog! The kids favorite parts were the baptismal font, the celestial room, the brides room, and the cookies afterwards!
On our way out, we ran into Julio who is the architect from Guatemala City that is working on the Xela Temple. We got him to take our family picture.
After a nice spiritual family experience, we enjoyed a yummy dinner at Benihana's. The kids have become converted to sushi and seafood.
Saturday, July 2, 2011
We were planning on going through the temple today, but since we went last night we have the entire day. What to do? We went to see a movie (Cars 2 in Spanish), wandered around the mall, swam, and ate some more!
El Salvador uses US dollars for currency. It was so strange see prices in dollars again. It was another way to prepare to go back to the states!
| We had some delicious ice cream that Alysa managed to spill all over herself! |
| Swimming at the hotel. |
We drove past the temple one last time before heading out of San Salvador. We drove for about 3 1/2 hours until we got to the next temple in Guatemala City. We had a quick potty break, grabbed some snacks and continued on until we saw the third temple in one day.....Xela!! Now it's back to reality of preparing for the unknown future!
Two more weeks!!


No comments:
Post a Comment