We (Chris and I) finally made it to Guatemala at about midnight last night. Our flight out of Vegas was delayed so by the time we got to Houston our next flight was boarding. We got on but ended up sitting on the plane for 2 hours since there was a poor lady traveling with 4 kids by herself. Two of which were lap kids....twins less than a year old who were both screaming bloody murder. I felt soooo bad for the mom!! Anyway there were all these safety issues and after leaving the gate we ended up having to go back and let her off the plane. Then we had to sit for another hour while they unloaded all of the bags to find hers and then reload the bags. We got here and went through immigration. It was pretty weird trying to understand what people were saying to me!! All of our luggage made it and we were off to the hotel. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Guatemala on the 17th floor It is really weird that they just have vents to the outside and the windows don't line up so there are gaps everywhere. It is VERY noisy!!! I was taking a shower this morning and I thought for sure and airplane was flying into the bathroom!! We have a nice little balcony to look out over the city. There are three volcanoes. I took some pictures but failed to bring the cord to download them. The drivers are crazy. We got about 5 hours of sleep last night (who am I kidding....I couldn't sleep with my mind racing!!) Luckily for me though, all the guys (Oh, we are traveling with Chris' boss, Dave, and their estimator, Brett) have meetings today. We all had breakfast then they took off and I get to hang out in the hotel all day. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep a little. The people have all been nice....the only interaction I've had so far has been immigration and the hotel though!! They are definitely a shorter group of people. I am trying my best to move out of my comfort zone and attempt to speak the language. Cole....I couldn't remember the word for eggs this morning!! I did learn how to say toast though...I think it is tostada. I'm probably wrong though. I have been trying to remember to say gracias instead of thank you. It is really weird how certain things just automatically come out of your mouth. Tomorrow after meetings, we're heading to Quetzaltenango for two days then back to Guatemala City. Tonight we are having dinner with a family that lives here working for Wal=Mart. They are hopefully going to answer some of our quetions.I am going to try to keep a journal/blog for the time here in Guatemala. That is definitely not one of my strengths so if I actually do it, it'll be a miracle!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment