Everything is so strange. We went to look at a microwave and all of the commands are in spanish. I am trying to type on a keyboard with everything different. I still can{t figure out how to get the apostrophe. I had to have somebody show me how to do the @ sign. I have to push alt64. How random is that?? Anyway, if you see { instead of an apostrophe, it{s the best I can do!! I can{t remember if I wrote that they have people (even little tiny kids) that go up and down the streets trying to sell stuff. My favorite so far is the guys with the bags of cotton candy like in a sports stadium. I told Cole about it and he was disappointed that I didn{t buy any! To be honest I{m a little hesitant to open the windows!! Today we went house shopping. We looked at 3 places and we{ll look at a couple more tomorrow. The first one was a little ways out of town in a guard gated (A guy holding a shot gun!!) community. The only problem is that there is only one completed house so far. The house is gorgeous though. We{d definitely have to get an alarm system and if the kids get their way, a dog also!! The second house was well.....there. It was actually probably the craziest building I have ever been in. Here in Guatemala they build until they run out of money. They{ll put in a first floor but have rebar sticking up to do a second floor. If the house isn{t finished then they don{t have to pay taxes. When they get enough money then they build the next floor and so on. Anyway, this house had so many levels that I lost track. There were 5 bedrooms 4 baths. The stairs were just barely staying up by a single nail. By the top level, I was fearing for my life. That house also came with free pieces of random furniture and pigeons. There were holes big enough for full size pigeons to fly in-out. DISGUSTING!! That house is definitely off our list.The third house was a combination of the two. It had definitely been thrown together but was a little nicer. It did feel like I was in a big prison though. Their security guard only had a pistol though!! It cracks me up how common it is to have armed security guards EVERYWHERE. You can{t even park without going through a security guard. I guess it should make me feel safer! We went to the mall today and I was surprised and how much it was like an American mall. I was able to order Subway all by myself!! (I am so proud of myself!!) There was even a movie theatre.One thing that I really have a hard time with is that the streets have walls built up on both sides that hide what{s on the otherside. They have little shops and stuff in them. It{s really hard to figure out where you are since everything is so closed in. The cobblestone streets are pretty cool though! Tomorrow we{ll go look at a few more houses and then we{ve got to make a decision. We{ll head back to Guatemala city tomorrow to fly out early Friday. We{re actually going to drive back a different way going along the Pacific coast. Apparently it is sugar cane harvest time and we{ve been told that there will be lots of trucks loaded with sugar cane. Crazy stuff!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment