Day 1 (Monday): Chris has meetings all day so I was left in the hotel to fend for myself. It was very nice to get to take a nice nap with nobody to wake me up. Once I woke up though, I had to face the reality that I needed to order some food....in Spanish. It was pretty funny, embarassing, confusing, but I managed to most of my order right. After the meetings, the architect from Guatemala took Chris and I to have dinner with another American family living in Guatemala City. It was nice to get to ask them questions and see what it is really like to live in a foreign country. Day 2 (Tuesday): This morning we (Chris, me, and Dave) took the rental car to head to Quetzaltenango. I can not say enough about how crazy the driving is here. A stop sign is a yield. People just pull out wherever they want. I have to close my eyes half the time. Well, we made it out of Guatemala City and headed for Quetzaltenango. It is a good thing that I do not get motion sickness because the roads were horrible. They were sooooo curvy. We saw two big huge trucks overturned in the middle of the road. (In two separate places!!) Chris was really suffering! It was so cool to see the people on the sides of the roads with their mayan clothing, baskets on their heads, babies in pouches on their back, etc. Not to mention all the wild dogs. (Boy are they UGLY!!) We also saw pigs, sheep, cows, etc on the side of the road. The mountain sides are in sections where each family farms. It is pretty crazy. We made a stop at Lake Atitlan for lunch. I once again got to attempt to speak spanish with the people trying to sell goods. I do have to say that in just the past two days I have been able to say small things like gracias without mumbling under my breath and without having to look down!! I am making babysteps!! Anyway, the restaurant overlooked the lake and its volcanoes. It was very beautiful! I will try to add pictures later. After lunch it was back on the road for more curving and winding and ups and downs and all over the place. We finally made it to Quetzaltenango. Wow. All I can say is that it has been a real eye opener!! I can not even begin to describe it. As Chris says, we are on sensory overload!! We did find the temple site, a mall, the slums, more slums, the market and finally our hotel.Well, we are finally in our hotel and as tired as can be.I will try to describe more tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment