Thursday, June 11, 2009

6/11/09-6/12/09

Thursday 6/11/09
With the sudden shut down of all the schools, I had to stay after school today to finish up getting all the papers for 4th and 5th grade homework packets for their time off from school. While I was there, the owner/principal of the school pretty much offered me a position. I told her that I wasn't interested in a permanent position but that I would help out until the maternity leave was over. She told me that they can't fire the teacher who is out on maternity but that she will not be returning to teach the 4th and 5th grade classes. Apparently the parents were not happy with her and so the school is going to put her in a different age group. They are trying to get another lady to come and teach but she'd have to leave early every day for her other job. They asked if I would be willing to teach just the last part of the day and spend the mornings in Spanish class learning Spanish.
That would probably be through the end of the school year. In the back of my head I thought that I would be there through the end of the year so it wasn't too big of a shock when they asked.
In addition to preparing for not having school for the next two weeks, we are also working to move buildings. The 3,4, and 5th grade classses are in a separate building while the nursery, preschool, kinder, 1, and 2nd are in the main building. The main building has a duplicate side which has been the home for Michelle's sister, Paula (the co-owner of the school). Paula decided to move her family somewhere else so that all of the grades could be in the same building. It will be interesting to see how things are run with all of the kids in the same building but with one playground and one carpool lane!!
Morgan got a special late birthday treat today. She got to go to Guatemala City with Chris for a couple of days. He had to take Dave back to the airport and also meet with some lawyers to make us legal workers here in Guatemala. Chris has been wanting to have some one on one time with the kids so he is taking Morgan to do some birthday shopping. I think she was pretty excited to go!! It'll be interesting to see what they come back with!
With Chris and Morgan gone, Alysa and Cole got to be my helpers to put together the homework packets. They had fun sorting all the papers! Afterwards they were rewarded with a movie since the Chaney's lent us a lot for the kids!!

Friday 6/12/09
Holy toledo's, I'm tired. It was quite a busy day at school today. We spent every break taking down stuff on the walls and getting ready to move. Today was our last day in the old building. We ended up staying two hours after school and we have to go back Monday to move the stuff to the main building. I really hope that the new rooms are a lot bigger!! I also have been asked to come back Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to decorate the new rooms. It's kind of awkward to be decorating a room for somebody else's classes. It's even more so since I share the room with the Spanish teacher. (We switch rooms in the middle of the day). I don't really know what/where I am supposed to be "decorating"!
By the time that we got out of the school, it was pretty late and we hadn't had any lunch. It was getting closer to dinner time so I let the kids talk me into going and getting some pizza. When we walked into Pizza Hut, my friend, Sully was there. She helped me read the menu so that I could order. After I ordered, one of my students came over to see me. I was feeling pretty popular!! I was very pleased that I was able to order the food and to be somewhat dependent since Chris wasn't there!!
The rest of the day/evening was spent eating pizza, drinking soda, eating rice krispie treats (it was a class project that I did today!! Our vocabulary words had to do with cooking so I thought I'd let them make something easy!!) and watching movies. What more could I ask for!!
I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment