I can not wait for the time that my stomach gets used to being here!! I am sick of being sick. It was so bad today that I had to tell Cole that he'd have to come do the digital piano for me in case I had to run out of church!! He didn't like that idea and luckily it didn't come to that!
When we walked out after church, Laina pointed out that the tire was flat. It was REALLY flat!! It was also pouring down rain and Chris got to change another tire!! He said that he's changed more flat tires here in the last 4 months than he has in his entire life!! He's getting pretty fast! It was funny trying to hold the umbrella over him as much as I could while yelling at all the kids to stay out of the way!
Chris had to go back to the jail today to see if we could get our fingerprints done on their official forms. They said that they would but they'd have to charge us Q.300 ($37.50) to cover the cost of the forms. For some reason I doubt that it costs that much for 6 pieces of paper!! The guy told Chris to come back tomorrow with all of us. This has been such an ordeal trying to get everything taken care of just so that we can pay taxes here!! It would probably be easier/cheaper to just go to Mexico every 3 months!!
Monday 6/22/09
Chris dropped off the tire to get fixed this morning then the kids and I met him later to get the tire put on the van and then it was back to the jail again. This time we were able to park a little closer and Chris was able to drive (so no crying on my part!! I really do not like the downtown area!!) We got there and the guy wasn't there. They told us to come back again at 12:00. It is so much fun to drag the whole family somewhere and then not be able to take care of what we need to.
We had Chris drop us all off at the zoo for a little while to kill time while he went back to work. Oops!! I forgot the zoo is closed on Mondays!! Oh, well. We decided to walk around and have some fun. The kids really wanted to go over an overpass so we tried it out. The kids now say that they will never go over another overpass again!! It was quite rickety and scary!
Back once more to the jail and once again the guy was not there. We finally gave up and decided that we'll just send in the finger prints that we have and pray that they work. Chris was later informed by the people at work to not go back again; that we had probably pushed them too far and that the police are the most corrupt people here. They said it would be better to just stay as far away from them as we can.
(The new temporary offices on the job site)
Tonight, Cole had two milestones. The first was that he actually ate his vegetable soup for dinner WITHOUT any complaints!! It is usually a huge battle with tears to get him to eat anything with vegetables. We didn't even have to bribe him with dessert! I don 't know what happened but it was a very exciting moment for me!! He also said the family prayer tonight in Spanish. I just jokingly challenged him to try it and he took me up on it!! He did an amazing job and I am very proud of his efforts!! Of course Morgan couldn't be shown up so she had to try to say one also in her room!
Tuesday 6/23/09
Today was another lazy day with lots of rain. It was freezing so we were all wearing hats for the day.
I think that I have had too much time on my hands this week to think. Me and thinking are not a good combination!! I have realized that I am missing home. I am realizing that it is tough here!! I am realizing that I am struggling to feel like I fit in. I realized that I don't have a clue what I am doing!! I realized that my kids probably aren't getting the education that they should be. I've been constantly thinking about our trip back to the states. See, I told you that I shouldn't have time to think. I do much better when I am busy and trying to focus my energy on other people!! (:
It doesn't help that Chris is frustrated with work also. I think I need a little pick me up!
In addition our house in Vegas has been weighing heavy on us. We feel like we are just throwing money away by holding on to it but we can't really sell it with the market so low. What to do, what to do!?!??
Wednesday 6/24/09
Today is our 4 months mark. In four more months we are planning to go back to the states. We are planning on flying into Vegas at the end of October/beginning of November to get all of our doctors appointments taken care of. We will possibly take a trip up to Utah....depending on how much traveling I feel like doing by myself with the kids. Chris will meet us in Vegas right before Thanksgiving. We'll spend Thanksgiving in Nevada with Chris' family then drive to Texas. Chris will probably fly back to Guatemala and the kids and I will spend a while with my family in Texas. I keep thinking about going through our storage unit and picking out some of the stuff that we need here.... also, getting out stuff for Christmas.....going to all the restaurants that we miss.....going to the library....seeing our family/friends....going to garage sales for books....Target/CVS shopping...etc. So many exciting things to do!
Tentatively, we'll drive back to Vegas then fly back to Guatemala. The kids are excited to be able to go on a trip with the DVD player in the van!! (Not to mention straight and flat roads to drive on!!)
Thursday 6/25/09
Today we had to go to Guatemala City to try to get some more steps in the temporary residence taken care of. Chris had to work for the morning so we got to do the drive during the rainy time of the day. It was a really heavy rain today and the roads were horrible. There were mud slides all over and the roads had water pouring over them. It was pretty crazy to see muddy water shooting out of the mountains!
It was pretty late by the time we got to Guatemala City so we grabbed some dinner at TGIFridays. We have come to the conclusion that the chain restaurants are the same here as in the states...greasy! We then headed back to the hotel. I don't know what it is about the hotel but the kids love going to the Holiday Inn. I personally think it's much easier to be in our own place!! This trip was nice because the only adjoining rooms that they had were two king beds. They brought two roll aways that we put in one room so that all 4 kids could sleep in the same room. They all had enough room that they weren't up complaining the whole night that somebody was touching them!!

No comments:
Post a Comment