Wednesday, July 7, 2010

7/4/10-7/10/10

Sunday, July 4, 2010
I haven't had such variety and large quantities of food for a long time. I think I might be sick if I see any more food. It is great but I just want to eat more and more and more!! We had another big family dinner after church and it was so yummy that I couldn't stop!
Everybody is pretty sad because reality has set in that Chris is leaving tomorrow for Guatemala. This is the worst part about traveling. Another sad thing for the family is that Chris has put his truck up for sale. This is the big beast that Morgan was supposed to learn how to drive in. It was going to pull our trailer (no, we don't even have a trailer!), go on big family trips in, etc. It was bought for the long term. Well, after sitting in Rich and Sharon's garage for a year, Chris figured it might be time to sell it. A guy came over today to look at it and Cole just watched out the window saying that Dad can't sell the truck. Fortunately for Cole, the guy offered a really low amount and Chris turned it down.

Monday, July 5, 2010
While we packed up all of our stuff today, Laina went over to the Novakovich's dock and sat on the ground talking to Dave while he tried to get the motor boat going. I was shocked to see how comfortable she was. Poor Dave got his ear talked off!! She was very excited once the boat got going and she (and the other kids) got to go on a ride. They really had a lot of fun being in Wasilla.
After the fun, we said a lot of good byes, and headed into Anchorage. It was sad to go, but at least the kids and I will probably get to go back up before we head back to Guatemala.
Being in Anchorage is a little more bearable now. We finally ventured downtown and got Alysa the reindeer dogs that she has been asking for since we got here. We had a little picnic at a park next to the coastal trail, ate our reindeer dogs and let the kids run around and play.
We met my parents at my dad's old office. Luckily for me, it wasn't as traumatic as seeing the old house!! It was hilarious to see what memories my kids had of visiting grandpa at work. We walked in and the kids asked, "where's the candy?" If only they had been around when the old secretary (Rae?) was working there and always had a big bag of candies in her desk! I think that's where my obsession with cinnamon bears began!
We did a little shopping before heading to dinner. Did I mention that I am fooded out? All you can eat Chinese buffet - wow, my belly is full.
It was pure torture dropping Chris off at the airport. Laina was bawling her eyes out and Alysa was begging to go back to Guatemala with him. Of course that didn't help me with my being "strong" for the kids! It was a good thing that we were going down to the cabin with my parents and they were willing to take Alysa and Laina to cheer them up!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010
I love lazy days. I read, visited Fred Meyers, saw another moose, sat on the front deck with my legs in the sun while it was raining, roasted hot dogs and giant marshmallows (these things were enormous. We'd roast it, eat off the outside layer, roast it again and repeat about 10 times!) and watched old t.v. shows. Yup, we're back at the cabin!
The kids really knew that we were here when they saw the old smiley rock. It is getting a little weathered so the kids want to repaint it. I wonder if we could find a big rock to paint in Guatemala.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010
My dad and Cole began working on building a picnic table. It is a beast. Cole seems to be having a lot of fun helping Grandpa with stuff. He also helped put together the trampoline. Everybody got to help get stuff ready for the cousins to come. In another week we'll have 12 more people here! Hopefully we'll get some sun for when they are here!

Thursday, July 8, 2010
While working on the picnic table today, Cole wouldn't use the drill or the saw. He was so worried that he'd cut his hand off. He helped out in every other way that he could though.
On their way into town, the kids saw some more moose. I don't know what my infatuation is with moose, but I sure like looking for them!
Chris sent us an updated picture of the temple. While he was gone, they put up some of the side paneling, as well as the lettering for the Holiness to the Lord - House of the Lord. I was so bummed because I was hoping to get to do that part. They had to find some sisters in the stake that would come and do it on a Saturday. I have been looking so forward to doing that. I guess I'll just have find some other way to participate in the actual building!!
By dinner time, Laina was so tired that she got up from the table and went to bed. Unfortunately she only took a very late nap and was then up half the night!

Friday, July 9, 2010
My dad left the drill, a log and a box of screws out for Cole to practice on without everybody watching. Cole was so proud of himself for using the drill and he made the letter 's' out of screws for "Stu".
The kids were well entertained today between going on a 4wheeler ride with the wagon, riding bikes, hula hooping, catching the first fish, learning archery, and going to garage sales. The kids love going in the wagon to the gravel pit/rollercoaster. Laina wouldn't go in the wagon two years ago but she seems to be enjoying it this time.
I bought a kids bow and arrow for Cole a few weeks ago and we finally broke it out. It took a while to figure out how to shoot it but once we got the hang of it, we couldn't get it away from Grandpa!! Cole and he were using an old Xerox box as their target. Then spending time trying to find all the arrows that missed!!



My dad made the coolest invention a while back. He has a light switch on the bank next to the fishing platforms. Whenever a person has a fish on and nobody with them to net the fish, they can flip the lightswitch which sends a signal up the wire (hidden under the dirt!) and buzzes in the cabin. So, if you are lounging around in the cabin and you hear the buzzer, you have to run down to the bank and help net the fish. It kind of reminds me of those experiments when you ring the bell and the dog runs for its food. Today we had our first buzzer ring. It was a race to see who was going to make it down the path first. Of course we have to carry on the tradition of singing the 'Rocky' song on the way. "Ding da ding da ding ding ding." This time, I won the race and my dad caught the first fish of the year with is trusty sidekick netter, me!
Up at the top of the bank at the fillet table.


Cole is really getting the hang of this fishing. I bet he catches one on his own this year!

Saturday, July 10, 2010
This dreary weather is getting old. How am I supposed to get motivated to go outside when it is like this? Instead of completely wasting the entire day away, I spent forever trying to update this stinking blog! It is so hard to stay on top of things when I am so off schedule!!
Fish update: Dad caught another one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment