What a rough day today. One of the men in the ward tried to talk to me while I was playing the piano and I can't concentrate on both things at the same time. He tried to tell me again later but even with only focusing on him, I still couldn't figure out what he was saying. It was even one of the members that is usually really patient with me and I can figure out the general idea of what he is saying. Not today. After that awkward start, it just went further down hill. By the time we got to Relief Society, I hid in the back and ran out at the end so that I wouldn't have to try to talk. What a wimp I am! I am having mixed feelings about learning Spanish. I really want to understand but at other times I feel like giving up since we won't be here much longer. Whenever I find myself having those thoughts, I get even more frustrated because I hate giving up on anything!
Monday, August 23, 2010
So, after yesterdays disappointments in myself, I pulled out the Spanish books. Now, if I can just get motivated to work on them rather than leaving them on the floor while I read other more interesting books!
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
I can not believe how many new songs I am having to learn for the next month. The choir is doing a special number for fast Sunday, then a couple of new numbers for our ward conference, plus the monthly practice song, and then the regular songs that I have been assigned for the other Sundays. Oh, and I am just praying that I don't get asked to play for stake conference also in the middle of the month. I keep telling Chris that we might have to go to Mexico that weekend!!
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Dave, and the church bosses, all came down today so the kids and I were on our own for the whole day. The kids were all in bed by the time he got home. I tend to get a little lazy when I know Chris isn't going to be home. The kids helped make tostadas for dinner and we watched t.v..
Thursday, August 26, 2010
For Teacher Lily's school, we went on a field trip to the Museum of Natural History. I never even knew it existed even though I've walked past the building a million times! We loaded 9 kids and 2 adults in the van and headed to the much dreaded area of Central Park. (Remember, I've only driven there once without crying!!) It was nice to have Lily there to lead the way.
The first section of the museum was hilarious. I couldn't believe that the items that I used when I was younger were in a museum now!! They had computers from the 1980's. There were also different phones, radios, etc. There was another section for sports as well as one for music. It was really cool to see the original marimbas. The bottom part was made out of dried out fruits.
Upstairs, we saw a bunch of pottery and stones from the early Mayans. There was a big urn that they would put the dead bodies in to bury. Yuck! There was another area of plants. It showed the leaves of the plants and then it showed the products that were made out of them. The area that was by far the most interesting to the kids was the animal section. To me personally, it was the most disturbing area! They had all sorts of animals that had been stuffed. They also had jars of animal fetuses including what I believe was a human but I couldn't bring myself to look at it! The taxidermy skills weren't the best that I have ever seen. Most of the animals looked like they came straight out of a low budget horror film. There were snakes, birds, bugs, rodents, alligators, lions, and even a two headed calf. The one animal that caused me to giggle the most was the stuffed chowchow dog! Who in their right mind would stuff a chowchow dog to put in a museum of natural history??? Every time I saw it, I would start laughing. All in all, the kids LOVED the animal section and probably would have stayed there all day if we had let them.
On the way home, we stopped and let the kids play at a park for a little while. Morgan was happy because one of the little boys at the school really latched on to her. I can't believe how grown up she is getting. She can't wait to be old enough to get to start babysitting!
By the time we got home, I was so tired that I didn't even care if the kids did their homework for the day. Morgan and Cole didn't seem to pick up on that and so they went ahead and did all their work without me bugging them about it! Wow!
Friday, August 27, 2010
When Dave came down for this trip, he brought all of the kids new books for the next school year. He gave them to Chris yesterday and so late last night after everybody was in bed, Chris put the books on the table in the study. The kids were so excited when they woke up this morning and found them. You'd think that it was Christmas. They worked so hard to get all of their work done before so they could go through all of the new books. It was great to hear Morgan and Cole arguing over who got which books to read. They both wanted all of them!
So, I've been feeling a bit trunky lately. I have the personality where I like to plan for what's next. Up until now it's always been the next vacation. Now, it is going to be the end of the job. We still don't know when that will be or where we will be going next but we know that the inevitable is going to happen sooner than later. So, I went through some of my fabric today and decided to use up all of my leftover scraps from previous blankets that I have made. Cole helped me and we sewed together a crazy quilt. I was shocked at how much Cole was helping me out. The girls were all playing Band Hero and he was sewing with me. It wasn't until the girls tried to get him to play and he said that he couldn't because he was grounded that I realized why he was still helping me. I didn't even remember him being grounded but he enforced it upon himself. What a good kid!
Saturday, August 28, 2010
I got to experience why the kids love to go with Daddy to the car wash. They have a bunch of tree swings, a dog, a rabbit, and snacks! What more could a kid ask for?
Morgan and I went to the fabric store to get some material for quilt backings. She still needs to finish her quilt and we lucked out with finding something that might work. I also found some fleece that will hopefully go well with another quilt top that I made. I am feeling a little bit of pressure to get the big quilts done for my friends! I've got a few done but I have a lot more go to before we leave here!
Earlier in the day, Chris talked to a guy in Alaska that was interested in buying his truck. When we got home from our errands, Chris's parents called with the guy saying that he wanted to buy it. The truck is now officially gone and sold. We are having extremely mixed emotions but are sure that everything is working out for the best. Now....if we could just get the house sold with the stinkin' market!

No comments:
Post a Comment