Monday, August 9, 2010

8/8/10-8/14/10

Sunday, August 8, 2010
So, our trip back to Guatemala was very good considering that we were traveling all through the night. We were able to get all of our bags checked in with only a little bit of rearranging due to the weight limit!! The kids were all on their best behavior, and were so helpful going through security. They all carried their own carry ons and backpacks. They all know exactley what to do with going through security, and I didn't have to worry at all. The first plane ride was 6 1/2 hours from Anchorage to Houston. We had brought some little blankets with us only to have blankets and pillows set out on each seat! I guess they still do the pillows/blankets on flights that go through the night! During the flight, they played Diary of a Wimpy Kid and then the latest Shrek movie. The kids were so excited to get to watch them! It was after midnight before any of the kids even tried to go to sleep. Once we arrived in Houston, everybody was pretty tired, but they didn't complain or whine at all. Since we had a 3 hour layover, we opted to just stay on the plane until everybody else was off so we could deal with the ten million bags that we had! In Houston we camped out at the gate, ate some snacks, slept, etc. Morgan was still not feeling very good, so she curled up on some chairs with a blanket and slept the majority of the time while we were there.
The second flight from Houston to Guatemala, everybody was beyond tired and slept most of the way. I had to wake Laina up when we got to Guatemala and I was dreading having to carry a tired cranky kid with all of the luggage. To my utmost surprise, she sad up dazed, looked at me then smiled and said with a big grin, "I had a good nap, Mommy!" What a relief!!
We made it through immigration, baggage claim, and customs without any problems. All that worrying that I did was for nothing!
As we walked out of the airport, I told the kids to look for the tall, white guy. Alysa said, you mean the tall, red guy. It was so good to see him in the huge crowd waiting for us. I think everybody was very excited, but a little too tired to fully show it!
Our drive back to Xela was uneventful, especially since it took Chris 10 hours to do the drive yesterday with multiple mudslides blocking the road as well as construction detours. We were lucky! To make it even better, all of our fish made it without thawing out! YEAH!! We now have a freezer full of fish to eat!

Monday, August 9, 2010
Our morning wake up came early with the roar of the lawnmower from the gardeners. UGH!! I was so tired and really did not want to get up. I figured there was a lot of work to be done so I finally rolled out of bed. The day was filled with unpacking, playing with old toys, reading, laundry, etc.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
So, this morning while I am saying good bye to Chris, one of the development gardeners said something to me. I thought he said that Guatemala was beautiful and I answered yes. As soon as I saw his face, I knew that I had answered wrong. Oops!! A little while later, Hermano Sak came over to repair the broken box springs as well as the broken banister railing. He said the same thing to me that the gardener had said so I tried to concentrate and figure out what it was. They had both told me welcome back to Guatemala. Geez, I'm an idiot sometimes! It is so fun (yes, a little sarcasm) to be thrown back into Spanish! The kids had to help me out a few times. Hermano Sak is very patient with me and my lack of understanding though.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010
I love going to the market. It is so good to be back and to be around the crazy energy again. I love just wondering around and watching the people. I also love buying produce here, especially after having to pay the Alaska prices!! Strawberries - $.37/#. Pineapple - 3 for $1.25. Watermelon (small)- $.62. Cilantro- $.12 etc. I am going to miss that!
We bought a ton of strawberries because the kids have been planning a strawberry party. After they finished all of their schooling and helped sanitize all the produce, they went crazy. They made strawberry milkshakes, juice, jello, etc. They had a blast.
We've been having the most awesome thunder storms here! I love laying in bed listening to the thunder and having the rooms all light up every time there is a flash of lightning. And the rain, is so fun here. It is so different than in Alaska. There isn't just a little drizzle, it pours hard with big huge raindrops that splat on the skylights. After surviving one of the rainiest, dreariest, cloudiest summers in Alaska, the rain here is a nice break.

Thursday, August 12, 2010
I must be one of the luckiest moms in the world. The kids are getting along so well. They have been playing together nonstop (except for when they have to do their schooling) since we got back. They are using their imaginations and making up stuff, they are playing outside, they are planning parties, etc.
I've also decided that 4 is a great number of kids. They are always able to have a buddy to play with and aren't left out. Today Cole and Alysa were inseparable. They searched the development and found some stuff that they used to make their own teeter totter. It was a big hit with all the kids.

Friday, August 13, 2010
What an amazingly gorgeous day. Not to constantly be talking about how nice it is here, but dang....it was beautiful today! I just sit and look outside and enjoy the scenery here and think how sad I am going to be when it is time to leave. We have been so blessed here. It is such a calm, serene, area that we live in surrounded by mountains, valleys, trees, etc.
It was so nice today that I told the kids to take a break from school and we all went outside to play tennis and to run around for a little while. And of course, I forgot sunblock and Cole burnt his neck!!
Cole's writing assignment for today was to write about a friend. Even though the kids don't have a ton of friends here, I think his experience has really helped our family to be strengthened.

My Friend
My friend is Morgan Whitney. She is 11. She is very good at being bossy. We were friends ever since we were born. I usually do school work and play outside with her. We like to build things, spy, and play video games. We usually don't fight but sometimes we do. Sometimes I want to play with her but she doesn't. Whenever we go on drives we sit together. And on vacation we share a hotel room. I am very glad to have Morgan as a friend!

Saturday, August 14, 2010
So, what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do? That is how our morning went. Everybody wanted to do something but nobody could think of what. We finally just got in the car and started driving. Chris told us that they built a new McDonald's while we were gone so we went to take a look. We finally ended up in Central Park and decided to take the kids out to lunch at an Italian place that they haven't been to. It was delicious and the kids loved it. They said that next time they want to try octopus.
We stopped by to visit the temple site also. It has changed quite a bit since we were last there! Almost all of the white siding is up as well as the framing for walls inside.







































No comments:

Post a Comment