I had such great plans to get caught up on everything today....ha! In Guatemala, they don't celebrate Halloween, but they shut down everything today for the Day of the Dead. Chris didn't have to be at work as early, so as a family we all went to exercise at the country club. Unfortunately, the club was shut down also! The guard let us in to use the fitness trail, but all the buildings were locked up.
So with our morning workout, school got off to a late start. Then it came to an early start when Chris called to say that we could come down to the job site and walk through the temple since nobody was there. We went and picked up the Bottema's so they could see it also. I was surprised at how much the inside has changed. It's been a while since we've gone inside! Hopefully it will continue to change very quickly!!
After our little tour, we all went to lunch. As we were finishing up our food, in walked Chris's boss Dave, the church boss, Russ, and the architect, Eric. They had just arrived in Xela for a couple of days. We talked for a while then headed to the grocery store to get the stuff to make dinner for Dave, Russ, and Eric.
At the grocery store, we were in an aisle with another lady with her baby on her back. There was nobody else around and she kept looking at us. We're kind of used to it so we didn't really pay much attention. It wasn't until she approached Morgan that we realized what she was looking around for. She was so tiny that she couldn't reach the jalapenos on the top shelf and needed some help. I thought it was hilarious that a full grown adult would have to ask an 11 year old to get something off the shelf for them.
The kids and Chris all wanted to do fish tacos. It has a mixture of cilantro, cabbage, carrots, and onions so we had a lot of stuff to sanitize, dry, and then chop up. Cole was my helper in getting dinner ready. It was a good thing that he helped because it took us forever to make dinner, finish schoolwork, and clean the house!
It was all worth it though. We had a great dinner and Dave brought us all sorts of fun stuff. It was Christmas....literally. My sister sent a bunch of unexpected gifts with Dave that will be perfect for Christmas. (Thanks, Meghan!!) He also brought a book that I had ordered and a package of birthday stuff for the kids from my parents. I had so much fun trying to hide all the stuff so the kids wouldn't see it. Dave even brought a couple of grocery items that I haven't been able to find here so that I can make a couple of our traditional Thanksgiving dishes!
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Today, the fields behind our house were beginning to be harvested. We weren't here last year to watch, so it has been really cool to watch. There are a ton of workers in the field with their machetes chopping all the corn stalks. The stalks are then stacked up to be hauled off.
I am trying to get to the point where I feel like I am on top of things with school. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the new 4th/6th grade books yet. I said that I wouldn't go anywhere until all of the days work, correcting, and planning for tomorrow were completed! Poor kids didn't get to go to the club!
When I went to teach piano class, nobody showed up with the keys. After sitting outside the gates for about 45 minutes, they showed up. Apparently Brother Sak's watch was 10 minutes fast so he came and went right before I got there. It was nice to have a little bit of uninterrupted time to do some reading for Morgan's schoolwork!
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
I think my kids favorite part of the entire week is getting to serve refreshment during the quilting class. I don't know why they like it so much but I'm not going to complain! They have been great helpers.
We started a new type of quilt today even though most of the people were still working on the previous quilts. We had quilts laid out on about every square inch of floor space in the entire downstairs! It was hilarious trying to get from one place to another without stepping on anybody or their quilts!
Thursday, November 4, 2010
UGH!! I can't get out of bed. My head is going to explode. Up all night nauseous!!
Friday, November 5, 2010
I'm feeling a little better. Thank you Advil PM!! I am thankful that I am able to take a lazy day if I need to. I am also thankful that the kids were willing to take care of me yesterday and take care of their own work as well. I'm pretty lucky!
Even though my head was still killing me, I felt bad that the kids have been so cooped up this week so I took them over to the club. I was planning on doing some work while they played but we ended up going through all of the machines in the exercise room and showing them how to use them. They were so excited to try out all the equipment.
We went out to dinner with the Bottema's while all the kids stayed at our house to watch a movie and eat pizza. I think it was a win win for everybody! I was very pleased to get some delicious hot chocolate at the restaurant since it has been so cold the last couple of days! I can not believe how many storms from other places have affected our weather here!
Saturday, November 6, 2010
The kids and Chris hung out all day while I got some stuff finished. I got some quilting done, I worked on a Christmas tree wall hanging/advent calendar, school planning, reading, etc. It was very nice to have a little bit of time to do something that I want/need to do that I don't have time for during the week. It was also very nice to watch Chris and the kids playing together!
So, is it bad of me not to want to buy a Christmas tree, ornaments, etc when we'll probably be leaving a little while after Christmas? Morgan says that she wants to make one. I'm thinking I might just let the kids creativity go crazy this year.
| Loading up the buses at the terminal. |

No comments:
Post a Comment