Thursday, November 18, 2010

11/7/10-11/13/10

Sunday, November 7, 2010
It was freezing all night!!  I was so cold that I couldn't even move to get up and get another blanket (to put on top of my already extra blanket!)  When we end up back in the states, I am going to fully appreciate a heater!
Somebody must have been spreading rumors that I can communicate.  I was called on to share an experience about sharing my talents in Relief Society.  The most amazing thing was that I actually was following along and I understood what I was being asked!  (Of course I leaned over and asked Sully to make sure before I started talking!)   I was able to share my experience with playing the piano.  I told about how when I was a youth, I was too embarrassed to play in church (as much as Sis. Swartz tried to get me to!!).  I never played in church and kind of hid my talent.  It wasn't until I came to Guatemala and they called me to play that piano that I was able to come out of my shell and use what I learned in years of piano lessons. (Thanks Mom and Dad!  I guess you were right after all!)  I also talked about how by using my talents I have also been able to improve my talents and have been able to teach others so that when I am no longer here, there will be more people to play the piano.
I really struggle to share any personal experiences without getting teary eyed and this experience was no different.  It was so amazing though to be able to share some of my feelings and be so in the moment that I didn't stress about the language, it just sort of flowed.
After I finished, another lady raised her hand and started talking about how my sharing my quilting talents has been a good opportunity for members to be introduced to the church and how they don't want the class to stop.
Following that, the Relief Society president pointed out that by my sharing my talents, I have been blessed in return with my increased ability to communicate.  How true she was!  I have noticed such a change in the past couple of months.  I have truly been blessed.

Monday, November 8, 2010
Just another Monday.


Tuesday, November 9, 2010
A new bread shop opened on our street.  They sell all sorts of rolls and muffins 3xQ1.  Which is 3 for $.12.  Morgan and Cole are so excited that they finally talked me into letting them walk down there so they could buy some rolls.  They think they are so grown up!  I even let them walk to the club to play for a while.
All of the youth at church are working on the cultural dances for the temple dedication.  They have practices every night so there was no choir tonight.  Yeah!!  What do I do?  Oh, start a new book!  Maybe I'll catch up to Cole with the Harry Potter series before we finish here!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010
For today's quilting class, I moved all of the furniture out of the rooms downstairs.  We had quilts all over the place and everybody was either working on their quilt or helping with the quilts for the rest home.
Alysa is working to design her own quilt. 
Hermana Perez and her friend.
Morgan loves to serve the refreshments.
While the girls were all quilting, Chris and Cole were on their way to Guatemala City.  Chris has a meeting tomorrow at a carpentry shop that is doing all of the woodworking for the temple.  Cole got lucky and got to go along.

Thursday, November 11, 2010
While Alysa and Laina were at Teacher Lily's, Morgan and I went to market.  It wasn't a rushed trip with a purpose so we spent lots of time just wandering around.  We found a shop that had little traditional dresses. They were so cute and would be perfect as a framed piece of art.
We forgot to take a bag so we had to buy a basket.....darn!
We also went to a different grocery store that we had never been to.  I think we had a little too much fun for being at a grocery store!  We almost forgot to go back and pick up the girls!  My favorite find was AMERICAN DORITOS!!  YEAH!!  I ate the whole bag (no, it wasn't a big bag) by myself!!  The only thing that would have been better would have been if they had been Blazin' Buffalo and Ranch Doritos!  That would have been more than I could have dreamed for!

While the girls were out and about, Cole was having the time of his life at the carpentry shop.  Apparently he really enjoyed seeing how all of the stuff was made....especially the stuff for the temple.  

This is how they dry the corn after harvesting it.  They throw it on their roof and let the sun take over!!

The Orellanas invited the Bottemas and us over for dinner.  We enjoyed a nice fire, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, and great conversation.  It brought back memories of our first time going to the Orellanas for s'mores.   


Friday, November 12, 2010
Chris and Cole returned to us safely today and we were able to finish school tests for Morgan and Cole.
We celebrated by starting the first Harry Potter movie.  Cole has finished all 7 of the books and now he finally gets to watch the movies.  (Luckily there is a Harry Pottery marathon this weekend and I was able to set the recorder for it!!)

Saturday, November 13, 2010
Today was a day to run some errands and get caught up on a few things around the house.  All of the kids were helping with the quilts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment