More school. More choir and piano. More of the same. More going through the house looking for what to send back to the states and what to get rid of. Can you tell that I am going crazy wondering when and to where we will be going. The future is so up in the air which doesn't work with my planning personality! I have to keep reminding myself to just enjoy the moment and worry about the future when it gets here!
With Dave being here, Chris has been working from the crack of dawn to the middle of the night. The kids didn't get to see him for a few days! The work at the job just isn't improving and he is so frustrated with the progress!!
We did go to the Orellanas house on Tuesday and learned how to make Lily's hot salsa. It was so delicious. We also made tortillas on the fire pit thing, and made a whole bunch of other traditional foods. It was DELICIOUS! I ate so much that I didn't even eat dinner!
Happy birthday, Alysa!! Alysa turned 7 today. I can't believe that she has celebrated three birthdays in Guatemala! The week has been so busy that the only time we had to do presents was when Chris came home for lunch! She was happy that she didn't have to wait for dinner time though. She received a bunch of books that she was wanting plus some other stuff.
My companion and I went to visit one of our new sisters today. I have to admit that I DREAD going visiting teaching here. I have never wanted to not be a visiting teacher but here it is tempting!! I get so worked up and nervous. I was surprised at how relaxed the visit was today though. I wasn't a complete stress case. I did the lesson and the sister was so patient with me. Her name is Christina Santos and she is a really nice lady. She was one of the sisters that came to visit me when I was in the hospital last year.
After visiting teaching, we went to the Bottema's house for their going away dinner. We loaded up the van with the Orellanas and Sully's family. The dinner was wonderful and the time together was even better. I am so sad that the Bottema's are leaving next week. The kids have gotten to be pretty good friends.
Friday, March 4, 2011
Chris had to take a bunch of people to the airport in Guatemala City, so Cole went with him. Dave and his son are going to Tikal tomorrow so Chris and Cole are going also. Cole has been waiting for almost a year for his turn to go and I don't think he could have held in his enthusiasm one more minute! He was so happy to go!
The girls only weekend began with a trip to the market. I remember why I don't like to take so many kids. It is so hard to hold hands, carry bags, talk with the vendors, and not get run over by a bus!
On Monday, I had bought a couple of aprons. Alysa decided that she liked them and wanted to get her own with her birthday money. The lady wasn't there and I couldn't find any. The poor kid was so disappointed. As we were leaving to go back to the car, we found a lady selling them. Alysa was able to pick out the one that she liked and bought it.
A family that we visit is out of work so the girls helped me pick out some food at the market and the grocery store. We packed up a box and Laina joined me and my companion to take it to their houe. It feels so good to be able to help and serve others!
Saturday, March 5, 2011
The girls didn't want to go anywhere today. Instead, they wanted to play the WII, read, and make their largest blanket fort yet! It was so strange to watch the dynamics of the kids without Cole around. Morgan was quite helpful! Maybe we need to get rid of Cole more often!
| Walking out to the little plane. |
| Like father, like son! |
They also got to enjoy the scenery from a zipline! There were eight different lines that they went on. They had gloves to "brake" themselves at the end of each line. One one of the lines, Cole used the wrong hand and burnt his hand a little. He still thought it was a lot of fun though. They got to see cacti growing on the trees also.
| Cole flying through the rain forest. Reminds me of "Go, Diego, Go" |
| Ready for the next line! |
With all of the excitement of the day, Chris and Cole welcomed a chance to go back to the hotel to relax for a little while before heading back to the ruins to watch the sunset. Cole wasn't completely impressed but Chris enjoyed it.
| Do you really have to stand on the edge of 20 story drop off? |
After enjoying the sunset, it was pitch black for the walk back to the hotel. Cole had to go to the bathroom so bad but was scared to go where the animals were. The guards in the park had to walk with them because they were the last ones out and they didn't have any lights!!
Sunday, March 6, 2011
A good nights rest after a long day was just too much to ask for. Cole and Chris were woken up at 3:00 in the morning by the howler monkeys outside of their bungalow! They were able to go back to sleep for a little while until all the birds decided to wake them up at 7:00.
Today Cole and Chris walked around, visited a museum, and the gift shops. They saw a crocodile and Cole's favorite, the leaf cutter ants. He liked to look at their highway through the forest.
| Why is my kid standing on the edge of the water where a danger sign is posted?? |
| Can you see the crocodile? |
| Leaf cutter ant carrying a leaf. |
They returned to the hotel for lunch and to read before flying back to Guatemala City. I think that both of the boys thoroughly enjoyed their time together!
While the boys were out on their adventure, the girls and I went to church, had our family primary, relaxed and worked on updating the blog FOREVER!! I have been procrastinating a little too much!

No comments:
Post a Comment