Tuesday, March 8, 2011

2/14/11-2/20/11

Monday, February 14, 2011
Our Valentines day started out with pink heart shaped pancakes.  It progressed to kids making Valentine cards and filling each others boxes.
The kids and I all spent the evening with the Orellanas and the Bottemas having a fire, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, and enjoying each others company.


Tuesday, February 15, 2011
We were at the Orellanas so late last night that we didn't get a chance to open our own Valentine boxes as a family, so we did it today.  The kids were really creative and thoughtful this year.
Chris has been getting very frustrated with water bottles here.  All of the ones that he has bought here have broken.  I told him that he needed to get a big Tupperware one like mine.  Not a week later, I was talking to a lady at church about the piano class and when she was searching for a pencil in her bag, she came out with a Tupperware catalog.  Turns out that she sells it so I ordered a few water bottles on the spot!  Tonight when she came for the piano class, she brought the waterbottles.  I never would have imagined how much joy Tupperware brings to me and my family.  I have been Tupperware deprived over the last couple of years!  It is going to be so much fun to open all of our boxes from the storage unit!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Cole is now a Webloe and we are trying to get this new manual figured out.  For one of his requirements, he has to plan and pack everything that he'll need for a trip.  Lucky us, we're going to El Salvador tomorrow so he got to sign off a requirement today when he packed!

Thursday, February 17, 2011
We left early this morning to go to San Salvador.  Chris had a meeting with the general contractor and some other people to go through the San Salvador temple that is almost finished.  The kids and I opted to tag along for the trip rather, than stay home by ourselves.
Note to self:  When going on a road trip, make sure you have a map and once you do have a map, USE IT!!  We weren't even paying attention to what we were doing and ended up going to the wrong border crossing.  It probably took at least an extra hour.  We were fortunate that the road did end up connecting up with the other road!
I don't know how we did it, but we managed to find our way to the hotel without a map or any directions!  We got settled into our hotel and then walked to the outdoor mall for dinner.  Chris was a very happy man after eating sushi at Benihanas.  I have to admit that it was pretty good!


Friday, February 18, 2011
Chris had to get up early and head over to the temple site.  The kids and I took our time getting up and ready.  We enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the hotel.  The kids loved the canned peaches and pears.  They kept reminiscing about when we used to can fruits!  I really miss our food storage and being able to can stuff.  Hopefully, if we return to the states, I'll be able to do some more and learn much more!
The rest of the morning was spent exercising in the hotel gym and then watching  T.V.
When Chris finished at the temple, we ran to grab a quick lunch and then headed to the beach.  We got there with only a couple of quick turn arounds!
We were staying at the same hotel that we went to last year.  We were really worried about the kids not eating the food since last time it wasn't very good.  Fortunately, the food was better this time and nobody had to eat the emergency back up plan of instant oatmeal!    Once again the open "bar" was a big hit with the kids.  They make some good limeade!!

Cole is getting much more comfortable in the water.  He was even going under without plugging his nose!! 

Costa del Sol
Morgan with hotel in the background.
Laina throwing sand everywhere!
Not sure if this is Laina or Alysa's.
I had a little too much fun playing with the camera at the beach.  The little sand crabs were fun to follow.
Alysa, Chris, and Cole
Laina
One of the tons of coconut trees!

How much more relaxing could it be than to sit in a hammock watching the sunset!

Saturday, February 19, 2011
It feels like we're playing musical beds.  Each night different kids are paired together.  The kids all want to sleep with Alysa because she doesn't kick all night.  By the end of the trip, I'm sure they'll be ready for their own beds again!
The hotel rooms each have a little balcony with chairs that overlook the ocean.  It was so nice to wake up, go outside and read while listening to the ocean waves.
We ate dinner in our swimsuits last night and breakfast in our swimsuits.  The people must wonder if we even own regular clothes!
The kids are insistent that they have goggles to swim with!

Before and after breakfast, the kids went swimming in the pool.  Alysa and Laina also joined me in a shell hunting expedition on the beach.  Our 15 minute trip turned into over an hour!  We had so much fun and found lots of really cool shells.  We did get a little sunburned but not much for how long we were out!
Cannonball!
Chris and the girls going under the "waterfall".
The family has turned into a reading family.  Everybody (except Laina) had a book and a hammock.  It was the perfect temperature outside and I had no desire to move!  I could have laid in the hammock and read all day but we needed to eat our lunch and head back to San Salvador.
We stayed at the same hotel and enjoyned the convenience of being right next to the shopping and restaurants.   We had a combination of wings and sushi for dinner which we ate in the hotel room.  The kids love to eat in the hotel rooms for some reason!  Afterwards, we got to drive around the temple.  The lights had been turned on and it looked gorgeous at night.  I look forward to the lights being on at night for our temple!!

Sunday, February 20, 2011
We enjoyed another great breakfast.  I had the best fried plantains.  I am definitely going to have to figure out how to cook those before we leave Guatemala!!  The Marriott hotel was definitely the way to go in San Salvador.  It was a very enjoyable stay for us in San Salvador but unfortunately it was time to get back in the car to drive back to Xela.  It was a very long day but the kids were absolutely wonderful! We had packed peanut butter and honey to make sandwiches.  We ate lunch on the drive and only had to stop for a bathroom break now and then.  We did amazing time getting home.

It is so good to be home as usual except that it is FREEZING!  I was getting used to the warm weather in El Salvador!

No comments:

Post a Comment