We are heading to Mexico on Wednesday so the kids only have school for two days this week. I told them that if they could each come up with a full page list of things they can do to keep busy, they could have those two days off also. They were all very excited to have "free" days! I was really worried that Cole would be too bored and would keep bugging me for things to do. I told all of them that if they said anything about being bored or asked me what they can do, they would be doing their school work! Laina almost started crying when she accidently aked me what she could do. She hadn't even finished the question before she realized what she had done. I thought it was so funny that I didn't make her do any schoolwork.
Since the kids got free days, that meant that I got free days also! (I think the free days were more for my sake than theirs!) I got to quilt, read, catch up on other misc. projects/cleaning. It was a very nice, much needed break!
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Free day #2. I think that I like free days a little too much! I wonder how long the kids could hold out before they were too bored?!?!
I made a bunch of loaves of bread this morning and then made little tags to go on them. They talked about Christ being the "bread" of life. Polly came over and I took her with me to visit 5 families in the ward. I counted it as my visiting teaching for the month. I never thought I'd see the day that I was the translator! I did a pretty poor job of it but we got by.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
For Chris's birthday, we went to Mexico......again! This was possibly our last border crossing into Mexico. We only made one wrong turn and got stuck going through groups of people in masks collecting money on the sides of the street. Chris didn't want to give them money and kept driving until somebody threw a tackstrip into the road. There are so many different traditions here for Semana Santa (Holy Week).
| I would die if I had to carry all this while walking across the border in the heat!! |
| There are motorcycles and bicycle carts that take people across the border also. |
| Chris laughing at the immigration office???? Wow, he has become a lot more relaxed since our first trip! |
| Imagine how strong your legs would be if you pushed all these people in a cart on a bicycle all day!! |
Once we got to Mexico, we enjoyed a high class lunch at Sam's Club! The kids were ecstatic to get ICEEs. It was sooo hot and they had done so well in the car that we thought they deserved a special treat!
We had a fun dinner at a sushi restaurant. Chris wasn't overly impressed, but the rest of us thought it was great. Yum! We finished off the birthday with presents that the kids had made. Morgan and Cole built a wood model house. Alysa wrote a really neat book, and Laina made him a card.
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Tapachula, Mexico isn't our most favorite place in the world. We have been there so many times that we've gotten a little bored with it. So, instead of going out and exploring and looking at ruins, we stayed at the hotel and read, went to a movie, and swam. The hotel is so crowded because of the holiday and they were having big parties everyday, so we pretty much stayed in our room.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Today consisted of another movie, more swimming, more reading, and more boredom. We did get our favorite soft serve ice cream though.
When we went to get dinner, everywhere was closed for the holiday. Every place that we went to was locked up. We finally drove past a place that was open, so we went in. It was a seafood restaurant that was in the open. It had a play area complete with a trampoline. The girls had a blast. We ordered a variety of dishes and just shared it. We had a chipotle shrimp, cilantro shrimp, and a sweet fruity shrimp. Everyones favorite by far was the chipotle.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
We finished off our stay in Mexico with a trip to Walmart, followed by another ice cream cone. Then it was back to Guatemala for us. The border was so crowded. It took forever to get through!
| A crazy fluorescent orange tree. |
Happy Easter!
The kids had a fun time finding eggs as usual. The Easter Bunny was very creative this year. The kids also enjoyed opening their baskets before running to church.
The kids had a fun time finding eggs as usual. The Easter Bunny was very creative this year. The kids also enjoyed opening their baskets before running to church.
We had a potluck dinner at the Bottema's. There was our family, all of the Bottema's, Paul's brother, Mark, DeLoy, 3 painters, and Salvador. It was a fun dinner with good food and good friends. It's fun to have other people that are experiencing what we are experiencing also!

No comments:
Post a Comment