Monday, May 23, 2011

5/9/11-5/15/11

Monday, May 9, 2011
We got some nice rain today.  I am so glad that the rainy season is finally starting!  The storms here are amazing.  That is one of the many things that I will really miss when we leave!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011
I got to celebrate Mother's Day, again.  Here, in Guatemala, Mother's Day is always on the 10th of the month.
The kids helped to make popcorn balls today.  We are trying to think creatively for things to do for the next while!
I found out tonight at choir that my friend, Paula, is pregnant.  The doctors think that it might be twins?  She goes in for another ultrasound next week to find out for sure!!  How exciting!  Her baby shower was the first one that I went to when we moved here!!  That means we've been here for a long time!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011
What a crazy day.  I ended up teaching 7 piano lessons back to back today!  Wow!
Our ward had a special Mother's Day dinner tonight.  There was a marimba band, dinner, etc.  There was supposed to be dancing afterwards but nobody ended up dancing.  Morgan even went to help the young women with babysitting.
The boy playing the drum ended up dying after a freak accident at school two days later!
All of our wonderful friends in the La Esperanza barrio (ward).  

Thursday, May 12, 2011
The ward still hasn't collected all of the needed items for Elias for his mission and he leaves in less than a week!  Chris and I told him that we were going to take him to get some stuff, but we never set a time.  I decided to go visit his house and give him Chris's phone number so they could figure out a time to go shopping.  On my way, I crossed the main road and then saw Elias walking the opposite direction.  I turned around and went back to talk to him.  It turned out that he was walking to our house.  I had him jump in the car and we went to pick up Chris before heading to the mall.  We were able to get most of the stuff that was left on the list but he still needed 6 pairs of pants!  The pants were really expensive so we went across the street to the tailor shop that made Chris and Cole's suits.  The tailor lived in Las Vegas until just recently.  He ended up giving us a good deal and said that pants would be ready before Elias has to leave.  What a good guy!
So, I took a happy Elias home with bags full of stuff and ready for his mission.  It felt so good to help out. His mother was so grateful.  I tried to explain to her that it has been as much of a blessing for our family as it has been for his!

Friday, May 13, 2011
After much anticipation, Amy received her mission call to Sacramento, California, Spanish speaking. Everybody is very excited for her and we are so thankful to have her as an example for our children!   As far as our map contest to guess the mission, Laina is the winner.
Morgan has hit the stage where she is done with primary and ready to move on to Young Womens.  To be honest, I'm shocked that she lasted as long as she did!!  She has been officially invited to attend mutual. Unfortunately, mutual is every Friday from 7:30-9:00.  UGH!  Friday nights are supposed to be family or date night.  Instead of watching a movie with the family, I sat in the back of the van, parked on the side of the street, reading a book with a flashlight, while Morgan enjoyed her activity.  It did give me some peace and quiet to read at least!!

Saturday, May 14, 2011
Today was an extremely cranky day!  Enough said!
We did go to the quinceanera for Emiliana's daughter, Lilian.  Talk about feeling out of place!!  It was only family and everybody wore traditional dresses.  As usual, things started late and by the time they started, a few people from the ward had shown up.  The kids were not upset one bit when we left early!




Sunday, May 15, 2011
Paul Bottema brought a gospel doctrine manual back from the states and volunteered to teach a class in English.  It was pretty strange to sit through a lesson in English!  Chris and I were actually able to participate. It was a little weird being the only girl with 8 guys.  I felt like I was invading a priesthood lesson!!
Our family primary is still going strong.  I love hearing the kids sing the primary songs during the week! I am also grateful to Sis. Bentley and her great music time ideas.  We have been doing "opera" singing and it's been a hit.  Laina has turned into a very dramatic singer!

No comments:

Post a Comment