Monday, May 23, 2011
Chris received an email this morning that the church was sending us back in June. Wishful thinking. It was a mistake. We are actually planning to head to Salt Lake City in the middle of July. We are not sure yet if Chris will be staying, or if he will be heading back to Guatemala for another month or so.
Cheese (dairy) is really expensive here. I usually get our cheese at PriceMart (Costco/Sam's) in Guatemala City but we haven't been there in so long, and we've run out of cheese. Luckily my amazing friend, Lily, went there while she was visiting her family and brought me some back!! Yeah!! The kids can have nachos after church again.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
We got our tickets to go back to the states. I keep saying that they are tickets to go home but where is home? Our house is in Vegas but we won't be returning there. We grew up in Alaska but we won't be returning there. We're kind of in limbo. We will be in SLC for a while but nothing is definite. Where will we live? Where will the kids go to school? What job will Chris be on next? So many unanswered questions right now!
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
So we have our tickets and I am officially in "prep" mode. The lists are growing each day! It is taking some serious self restraint not to pack everything now. We've already sent back a lot of bags, but there is still a ways to go!
Chris came home sick early today and crawled into bed. Do you think it could be stress?? Frustration??
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Cole has been going through books like crazy, and we've had Dave bring down a TON of books that we've bought. The last time he brought books, he made a comment about getting them all back to the states. We have been very lucky and have been able to sell most of our books to a local bookstore, or to Lily.
We are looking forward to finishing up the homeschooling also and getting rid of some of those books!!
Friday, May 27, 2011
Our landlord is coming by tomorrow so we had a big cleaning day today. I put a piece of paper on the wall in every room in the house. It had a list of everything that needed to be done. The kids loved doing a job and marking their name next to the job to earn some allowance. By 11:00 everybody was completely exhausted.
Since we were all tired, and I didn't want the kitchen to get dirty, we went to dinner at a Chinese restaurant. It was really fun hanging out with the kids. They are getting a lot better at trying new things.
Afterwards, Morgan and I went to the stake center. The young men and women were having some sort of a conference this weekend, and they had a dance program. Each ward did their traditional dances. Our ward did two dances, but we only saw one. Morgan and I were trying to go incognito,but we didn't even get through the front door before friends were greeting us. I guess we stand out a little, still!!
Saturday, May 28, 2011
The landlord emailed that she wasn't coming at 9:00, as planned. Instead, she was going to come at 2:00. The kids were sick of trying to keep the house clean,so we finally left and went to lunch and to run some errands. It was nice and sunny when we walked into the restaurant. However, a storm blew in very quickly and the rain started. There was also a soccer game on, so the restaurant was packed. The crowd went crazy for the first goal. Chris said that when the opposing team scored, he was going to yell. He kept his promise! Luckily there were other fans in the restaurant also, so Chris wasn't the only one cheering!
We got up to leave after finishing our food. Once we got to the front door, the rain started pounding harder than ever. The employees told us that we might want to go sit back down and wait. It was a good decision. Even after the rain "let up", we got poured on while running to the car. We had to go through a drive thru lane and it was a complete puddle. Our feet got soaked all the way through. Even though everybody was drenched, everybody was laughing and having a great time. The best came when Chris had to get out of the car to go pick up his suit. The wind was blowing the rain horizontally. He opened the little umbrella and got out and just about lost the umbrella as the wind blew it inside out. He was grabbing at the umbrella trying to get it back and then running for the building. It kind of reminded me of Tommy Boy and the part where he does the fat guy in a little coat. It was more like tall guy with a tiny umbrella. It was so out of proportion!
For our Saturday night entertainment, we looked on ksl.com for houses to rent. I found one that I liked with all different fruit trees, but Chris didn't like it at all! It is going to be so interesting to see how we find a place to live.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
In Sunday School, Deloy told a story about finding people to help clean the temple from his ward. There was a sign up going around and about 50 people signed up. They only needed about 20, so the bishop needed to narrow the list down. The next week, he sent a sign up around for people that would be willing to help clean a non-so-well-liked lady's house in the ward. Only 5 people signed up. Those were the ones who were chosen to clean the temple. I have been thinking a lot about going to a new ward and not knowing anybody. My friend Polly told me that I can be anybody I want to be since nobody will know me. Should I be shy, outgoing, trendy (ha), etc? I hope that I can be like the 5 people that signed up to help even though they probably didn't really want to. I think that as a family, we need to set some goals for when we return to the states. What can we do to help others? What can we do to make new friends? What kind of people are we going to be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment