Now that we are back in the states, I am not quite as motivated to blog. I wonder what other changes are going to happen now that we are back!?!?!
Monday, July 18, 2011
I wanted to end our blog and start a new one since we are done in Guatemala, but it feels like we're not really done with our "adventures" yet. Before anybody else even began to stir, Chris was up and gone to Jacobsen to get a work truck. The kids slept for a while, and that really made me happy! Once they did manage to get up, we rushed to get breakfast before it closed. Afterwards, everybody got ready, we lugged all the suitcases back downstairs and out to the truck and headed for Claudia's. (My cousin that is wonderful and always opens her house to us when we are in SLC. Her family is the best!)
The luggage was all lugged once again into Claudia's basement. It is a good thing that she has so much space, because we filled up most of it!
Matt, Jamie, and their kids then came over to visit. We had a fun little picnic in the back yard with our much anticipated Cafe Rio food! Delicious!
We topped off the day with a trip to the park for the kids to use up some of their energy.
| Cole, Jake, Abby, Matt, Nate, Alysa |
| Laina |
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
We got to sleep in today. We didn't have anything pressing so we could take a leisurely pace. We met Chris's parents for lunch and to hang out for a little while. The SLC family tradition is to eat at Cinegrill. This was #1 on the "to eat at" list. We are quickly crossing off our list!
While Chris went to a meeting at work, the kids and I did a little shopping. The kids were very happy to get new socks! Ahhh, the simple pleasure in life. We were able to hit a Target, D.I., and Macey's grocery store. Those probably are top 3 "to go to" places. It was pretty discouraging to go shopping when we don't have a place to put it. After dragging suitcases everywhere and not knowing where any of our stuff is, we decided that we shouldn't buy any more stuff!
We were hoping that Chris's meeting would bring us some more news for our future. He didn't really get anything! He is planning to head back to Guatemala next week and finish the job to return to SLC in about a month, and not know what is next. The unknown is really taking a toll on everybody!
We are also beginning to feel a bit of sensory overload. Everything going on around us is getting very overwhelming!
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Laina was pretty sick today and throwing up, so I stayed home with her and did laundry and relaxed while Chris kept the other kids and spent time with his parents.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
So, it was my turn to be sick. I slept from 5:00 last night until 9:00 this morning....except for when I was up to throw up. Such a great welcoming back to the states! It is really hard since Rich and Sharon are here and we've been going out to eat every meal. I can barely manage to look at the menu. Poor Laina keeps telling us not to talk about food, and I understand why now!
We did suck it up and went to dinner so we could see Chris's Aunt Karen and Uncle Gary. We haven't seen them for a really long time. They are great people!
Friday, July 22, 2011
We had an amazing day today. It was the first time that Morgan got to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. It was extremely crowded, but they said they would squish us in. We met Rich and Sharon at Temple Square. Sharon stayed with the younger kids while Rich, Chris, and I took Morgan.
The worker in the clothing area was really busy and didn't have anybody there to help her. She said that everybody either had gone on vacation for the 24th of July or they had called in sick. She had a big huge pile of jumpsuits that had been dropped off by the laundry people, but not hung up. Since we were just standing in line waiting, I asked her if she could use any help. She looked at me with a look of desperation and gratitude. I was able to help her hang up some jumpers, and hand some out to the people in line. After Morgan, Rich, and Chris got their clothing, I went with Morgan to help her get dressed..... o.k. actually just for moral support since she is able to get dressed on her own now!
After she was all finished, we discovered how long the line was! I knew it was going to be a while, so I went back to the clothing area and helped the lady until everything had been put away. It felt really good for me to be able to help out. That was something that I missed while in Guatemala. I never really understood what people wanted me to do, or not do. I couldn't just jump in and follow the instructions most of the time.
Morgan was nervous, but excited. I sat with her for a while and tried to show her what she would be doing. After a while though, the same lady from the clothing area came over to me in the baptistry and asked if I would be willing to go change into temple clothes and help hand out towels to the people who finished doing baptisms. I agreed, and was very happy that I was able to be right up front to witness Rich baptize my daughter for his mother, and then again to baptize Chris for his father. I was also able to be there when they did the confirmation. It turned out to be a wonderful experience for everybody.
We spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around Temple Square with Rich, Sharon, Bob, Amber, Kristi, and their kids. We got to see the Joseph Smith movie at the Legacy theatre.
It was really neat to see the excitement of the kids when they saw all of the history of our church. I think their favorite was the interactive video things and the model of the inside of the temple. I never knew what all was in the temple!
| Alysa at the Assembly Hall |
We had an amazing surprise at the end of the day as well. While standing outside the Assembly Hall, the Shurtleff family appeared. Tabitha was one of my counselors in the primary presidency in Vegas. Her middle son has been fighting cancer and was in the Primary Children's Hospital for months. He was released and they went home to Vegas a week or two ago. They were back up for a follow up appointment, and just happened to be at Temple Square at the exact same time and place as us! How random is that? I can not get over how much the kids have grown since we left. Their oldest was in the primary, and now he is towering over me! I just assumed that everything had been put on hold while we were in Guatemala. Who knew that people would continue to grow during that time?
Our amazing day was ended with us breaking down and letting the kids watch the first part of the 7th Harry Potter movie.
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Our last day in Salt Lake City for a little while! Britt, Mitch, and their 5 kids met us at Claudia's house. They helped us again lug the suitcases up the stairs and out to the vehicles. We had a great visit with Claudia while talking about "the old days" and catching up on all of our relatives.
We decided to try out the new Legacy Parkway. It is a new freeway that goes up through SLC to Davis county. We looked for houses along the way.
A pit stopped was made in Honeyville to visit my grandma. She is really having a hard time getting around. My dad made me promise to stop and said that it might be my last chance.
We then continued the extremely long and boring drive to Twin Falls, Idaho. After driving in Guatemala, I can see how people can be lulled to sleep and go off the road. Straight, smooth, never ending!
Once we got there, all of the cousins had a blast playing together for the rest of the day!
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Happy Pioneer Day!!
Our first Sunday back in the states. The kids were excited, but nervous about going to church. We decided to go to Brittany's ward so that the kids could all go together. The kids loved primary. I was shocked that Laina ended up being the most shy of the bunch. She actually went with Alysa and Lance to their class. They especially liked singing time with Aunt Brittany. They said that she's a little crazy, but they loved it!
The chapel is right next to the temple. It is nice to be close to an operating temple! Hopefully we will get to go do a session before Chris has to go back to Guatemala!

No comments:
Post a Comment