Saturday, April 11, 2009

4/11/09

We decided to be spontaneous today and go on a little road trip. With everything being shut down for the holiday, we thought we'd take the kids to Lake Atitlan. I think it's the deepest lake in the world. We invited the Chaneys to go along and we headed off. It's about 1 1/2 hours away. We stopped at a little area that overlooks the lake and where all sorts of trinkets are sold. I had to go to the bathroom sooooooo bad that I PAID to go into the nastiest bathroom ever!! Not only did I have to use it but then I had to try to help Alysa use it while she was freaking out since it was so gross!! It consisted of a stone circle for the toilet, a door that didn't close all the way, and guarded by a wild dog! My only thought was, "You've got to be kidding me!"



We ended up heading down the long windy road when all the traffic stopped. Apparently everybody else in Guatemala was going to the lake also! We decided to bag it and headed back to another little town to check out their market. Alysa bought a little hair thing with her money and was so proud of herself. I tried some corn on the cob but was very disappointed. (It didn't help that the lady tried to rip me off and then was rude!!) The picture is of the artwork on one of the buildings. The next picture is our record for today. There were AT LEAST 15 people in the back of the little truck!





Since it was lunch time we decided to find a restaurant for lunch that Duane Chaney had been to before. (He served a mission here 40 years ago!!) We couldn't find the restaurant so we stopped at a different one that had three guys playing a marimba outside. I thought it was so cool but everybody else got a little irritated after a while since we ended up eating outside and it was really loud! At one point one of the gentlemen took a break and a little boy got to play. I tried to get Cole to go try it out but he didn't want to!



We finished off the day with a pizza party and watched The Incredibles. The kids are now in bed and hoping that the Easter Bunny comes to visit them tonight. We keep telling them that the Easter Bunny doesn't come to Guatemala but Morgan counters that the Tooth Fairy has been coming. Did I mention that she has lost 3 teeth in the 1 1/2 months that we have been here???

No comments:

Post a Comment