Saturday, April 25, 2009

4/24/09

TWO MONTH MARK!! YEAH, IT’S FRDAY!!
It was so wonderful this morning to wake up with the alarm clock, go in and open the kids curtains and have Alysa roll over and say, “I’m going to get ready”. I was so shocked that she wasn’t whining and saying how much she hates school and won’t go!! The morning seemed to go so much better for her. Laina still wasn’t too happy though! It’s easier to deal with one cranky kid than two!
The school drop off was a little better today. Morgan and Cole just left for their Spanish class and Alysa and Laina played with Chris for a little while on the playground. When it was time for school to start we told the kids goodbye and left. Yes, Alysa was chasing after me screaming but Lily was able to intercept. Laina was stuck on a big swing and couldn’t get off to chase us!! We might have to put her on that swing everyday!!
Once we got out of the school feeling like mean parents, we headed to the temple site. There were surveyors at work and a backhoe came while we were there. I am SOOOO excited to see the work start. I can’t wait to see the changes. While we were there, Chris opened his first Dr. Pepper since we moved two months ago!! He got it for his birthday. While he was in Guatemala City he also went to check out a warehouse store like Costco. He was debating on getting a membership until he found two twelve packs of Dr. Pepper. He ran back and bought a membership and then bought the Dr. Pepper. He was also able to find root beer so we can make root beer floats!!


All the Kinder classes had a field trip to the zoo today. The parents were allowed to come join the group so Chris dropped me off at the zoo (just down the street from the temple site). When the bus pulled up, Chris and I were laughing so hard to see the bus. It was SOOOOOO packed!! They had 35-40 kids plus at least 5 adults in a small van/bus. The pictures don’t do it justice!!

(All of these people plus more came from inside the bus and look how full it still is!!)

Alysa really seemed to enjoy herself at the zoo once she realized that I wasn’t going to leave her. She apparently had a pretty rough first hour of school and wouldn’t go to her Spanish class. They ended up having her join Morgan and Cole in their Spanish class. I am kind of wondering if it might be better for her to join them even though she won’t be able to do all of the work that they do.
The zoo was pretty pathetic but for free you can’t complain.

They did have two jaguars that I liked.

(A funny animal)

(Yes, Alysa can smile!!)

I think the most exciting part was the playground. The kids played for a pretty long time on all the slides, swings, etc.


(How do kids not get killed on this thing?? Look at the huge gaps!! There are obviously no safety inspectors here!!)

(This slide was sooo cool. It was made out of stones, logs, and cement!!)



(Alysa had fun taking my picture. I wonder how old this tree was to get this big!)

(I was really trying to get a picture of the Mayan people behind Alysa. There were even some guys in their traditional clothing but I didn't get their pictures!)

(My little tree hugger)

(This was one of Alysa's favorite things to do at the park)

During the entire time with Alysa I kept focusing on how Alysa will need to get back on the bus and that Daddy and I were so excited to pick her up from school. I told her how excited Daddy and I get when we get to see her especially when she is happy. She seemed to like that. I also let her know that NO MATTER WHAT, we would NEVER leave her. That we would be so sad if she wasn’t with us. It seemed to help a little because when it came time to go, she was able to get in the bus (or course sitting on Lily’s lap!) and leave without crying. She even smiled and waved. She did mention several times during the day that she was going to get killed on that bus! She sure got a good laugh out of me when she said it!

When it was time to pick up the kids, Chris and I decided to try out the carpool (drive thru pick up) lane. The line was so long that I worried that we’d be too late to pick up Morgan and Cole at the other building if we waited in line so I walked over to the other building and left Chris in the carpool lane. When Morgan, Cole, and I got back, the line hadn’t moved much so we tried to hide so Alysa and Laina wouldn’t see us until Chris was able to get to the front of the line. He hasn’t gotten to see the kids at the end of the school day except the first day and since that’s the best part of the day, I thought I’d let him enjoy the moment. One of the teachers spied us though and brought the girls out to me. At least I tried!! All the kids were in great spirits and I was given good reports for all of them. The only downside was that they have homework for the weekend!! UGH!!
I think that the rainy season has hit. It was so strange to have rain. It rained late last night and then for a couple hours after school today. The kids said that it smells like Alaska. I can’t wait to see what it is like here when everything growing. The fields are all starting to grow a little! I still am amazed at how beautiful this place is.

(Laina sure had fun in the puddles. I didn't have quite as much fun cleaning up all the wet clothes and mud!)

Today was a good Spanish day for me. Lily told me that I had to do Spanish today. I had to really concentrate but I was able to say quite a bit (for me - in my opinion!!). I am still struggling a lot with people talking back to me though! Yes, it will come eventually!!

We finished off the day with a root beer float party and playing the new wii that Dave brought down!! Of course Chris and I had to stay up after the kids went to bed to "practice" how to use the wii!!

No comments:

Post a Comment