Tuesday, April 14, 2009

4/13/09-4/16/09

4/13/09:We got to participate in our first birthday party here. Lily's birthday was today and her husband invited us over for a surprise cake. The kids (and I) were excited to learn to sing Happy Birthday in Spanish. Aunt Meghans birthday is on the 15th and we want to be able to sing to her also!!
We had cake and chocolate. They take a bar of chocolate and melt it in the water to make hot chocolate. It was definitely different than the usual powdered stuff but it was good.

4/14/09: A pretty uneventful day today. Morgan has been spending a lot of time playing on the keyboard. We did get set up on Skype so that we can do phone calls/videos over the internet. I was able to talk to my little sister, Meghan, and that really helped my spirits.

4/15/09: Not feeling too great. Bad headaches!! The kids and I had "school" today. Morgan and Cole did a writing assignment about when they moved to Guatemala. I told them they could use Spanish words if they knew them. Cole wrote about the pollo buses (loco buses). Meaning, the chicken buses (crazy buses).
This is what happens when a three year old plays alone quietly for too long!!


4/16/09: Today was another reminder that I am only human. The day didn’t start off too well since I was up sick all night. My head has been killing me for a couple of days but during the night, it felt like a person with a large hand was squeezing my entire head as hard as they could. I’ve never had migraines but that was what I imagine it would be like. On top of that, I have a sore throat, cough, and congestion. (Not to mention the 7 weeks of upset stomach that wont go away!) By the time the morning came around I was ready to get out of bed just so I’d stop tossing and turning!

We took all of the kids to the Beehive school today to sign them up. We spent about two hours there trying to get their uniforms picked out, get books, fill out papers, and pay lots of money!! We also found out that Morgan and Cole start school at 7:10 but Alysa and Laina don’t go until 8:00. Then Laina is done at 12:00 and Alysa , Morgan, and Cole are done at 1:00. Except on Tuesday and Thursday Morgan and Cole stay until 3:00. Could it possibly be any more confusing? I am definitely going to need to get some sort of carpool system going!!
I am very concerned about how Alysa is going to do. She has really struggled since we came here and doesn’t want to have anything to do with anybody! She is very animate that she does not want to go to school. She keeps saying that she wants to be homeschooled. I am dreading her first day on Monday, even though she already knows her teacher! It will also be the kick off day for the construction on the temple, and it’s Chris’ birthday! What a busy day that is going to be!

After getting no sleep and trying to figure out all of the information at the school, I was a little overwhelmed! I have been trying to be strong but today just wasn’t my day. All I could think about was just curling up in bed and wallowing in self pity. I was reminded of the dramatics of Anne of Green Gables being in ‘the depths of despair’. I forced myself not to do that and to go to a Visiting Teaching conference at the church and a bridal shower. As miserable as I felt, it was probably a good choice. Not just for me but for Cole as well. He went with me so that he could play with the other kids. I think it was good for him to get out of the house and to play with other boys! He gets along with the Orellana boys really well. Now we just need to find friends for Morgan and Alysa. (Laina plays with the Orellana girl!) The conference was supposed to start at 3:00. I got there at 3:20. (We were a little behind schedule with the trip to the school etc). They didn’t start until 3:45!! Here I was freaking out that I was going to walk in late in the middle of everything! One of my friends, Sulli, sat by me and helped interpret a little for me. She said that I was doing very well with my Spanish. I like Sulli because she always encourages me and makes me feel good! I need all the extra encouragement I can get!! She will ask me something in Spanish and wait long enough for my brain to work and to reply. She is also the cook for the Beehive School and she told me that she would teach me how to cook authentic Guatemalan food. I will take her up on that once my stomach calms down and I can go a day or two without feeling sick!

The bridal shower didn’t get started until 5:45 and I was feeling pretty miserable by then so Cole and I left. We did make a pit stop at a bread store on the way home to get some rolls for dinner. Cole took advantage of my moment of weakness and talked me into buying donuts….and a loaf of bread shaped like a big huge turtle. It’ll be interesting to try for breakfast tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment