4/9/09 Thursday: Today we went to one of the markets to look around. It is so much fun to see all of the people and all of the stuff that they are selling. I especially like the fresh produce. I don't even know what half of the stuff is!! I was trying my best to talk and find out how much stuff cost. I did pretty well until they did prices like 3/Q10 or something with centavos (cents). We ended up with cherries, cabbage, cucumber, lettuce, peaches, cantaloupe, cilantro, etc for about $3.
After we were done at the market we headed over to the mall so Cole could get some shoes and so I could look for some ham for Easter. Chris took Cole while I took the girls to the grocery store. We failed to specify a meeting time and location. After we finished at the grocery store (with no luck on the ham), we went out to meet Chris and Cole. We wandered the mall for what seemed like forever. People even quit staring at us since they had seen us go back and forth so many times!! I really started to feel isolated/scared/lonely/etc. I didn't have a phone to try to call Chris and I didn't have a way to communicate with anybody else. It was not a very good feeling at all!! It really made me realize how incredibly dependent on Chris I am here. On the bright side though, I think the Lord is using missionaries as my personal angels. It seems like everytime I have been without Chris and in a strange place, I have seen a set of missionaries. The same thing happened today. I was about ready to start crying when I noticed two elders in the grocery store shopping. I knew that if things got bad enough I could go in there and they would be able to help me. It might sound pretty cheesy but it has been a great comfort for me!!
We finally found Chris and Cole (or they found us) but I was pretty upset and frustrated. Yes, I am human, and I do have struggles!!
4/10/09 Friday: Today was a little bit better but I was still pretty upset about who knows what!! I really want to learn Spanish but I get so frustrated with myself. I know how to say a lot of stuff, and I can read it but the second that somebody says it to me, I get so flustered that I don't understand anything!! I guess what doesn't kill me will make me stronger!! (At least that's what I keep telling myself) I finally told Chris that I am going to go talk to our security guard and just have him say numbers over and over to me until I can figure out what they are!!
There was a huge parade downtown today. They have "carpets' or chalk drawings on the streets and floats. We ended up seeing part of it while we were out exploring. The crowds were so big that we didn't really want to stop. Instead we wandered towards our house and found a cool park that the kids loved playing at. It was pretty funny when a police truck with about 4 cops drove by and were rubbernecking at us. They slowed down and did a complete circle around the park. The last time past us they honked and waved.
Other thoughts:
Laina is a thumb sucker and her nail is split. I cut her nails and apparently I cut her thumbnail too short. She was up crying for two nights because she couldn't suck her thumb. She had such a rough time!! We told her to suck her fingers and she told us that they didn't taste very good...only her thumb was yummy. One night while Chris and I were watching a t.v. show I told her to go to bed and she said that she would go to bed when I went to bed. I can't believe my three year old is trying to tell me what to do!!
The men here pee anywhere and everywhere. And the women nurse anywhere and everywhere. I've gotten used to not looking at anybody on the side of the road or the construction workers outside because there is a pretty good chance that they are peeing!! The other day there was a guy on a motorcycle with a lady on the back nursing a baby going down the street. (Ouch, if he hit a bump!!) Anyway, Cole has picked up on the peeing thing and thinks it's great to run to the lot on the side of the house and pee if somebody else is in the downstairs bathroom!! I think he waits for the bathroom to be occupied so that he has an excuse to pee "Mayan style" as he calls it! (There's lots of different things that have been named "Mayan style".)
My parents sold their house of 30+ years. It is the only house that I have ever known and it is pretty sad to think that I will never get to go back there again! (That hasn't helped with my being upset the past couple days!!) Chris thinks I'm a weirdo since his family moves every couple of years. Our house has so many memories that it is hard to see it go.

No comments:
Post a Comment