Friday, May 1, 2009

4/29/09

The day began at 2:15 a.m. when the water finally turned back on. It seemed like the whole house was shaking from the pipes pounding!! I was paranoid that one of the faucets had been left on downstairs and that it was going to flood, so out of the toasty warm bed I went to check all the sinks. (Have I mentioned that it’s cold again??) All the sinks were off so I headed back to bed but my mind was racing so I didn’t get much sleep after that!!
Today was a field trip/hike for Morgan and Cole’s classes. We had no idea where the meeting place was so we were able to meet up with Teacher Marilyn and drive with her. She’s the pregnant teacher that I’ll be subbing for. I am pretty glad that we went with her because I NEVER would have found the place!! We got there an hour after the schedule meeting time but the kids had just left and we caught up to them quickly. We started out the hike on a regular road which Cole was pretty disappointed about. He said, “I thought this was supposed to be a hike. Aren’t we supposed to be in the dirt.” Ahhh, little did he know what was to come!

Before we reached the top we were having to pull ourselves up the mountain with a rope because it was so steep!! At the top there was one last little ledge to get to so I pulled pretty good on the rope and up I went. I didn’t realize that there was a person holding the rope at the top rather than a tree and he just about came down when I pulled!! Oops!!
Throughout the day we did different activities/games. I was very glad that Teacher Deanna (Cole's American teacher. She has her degree in teaching English as a second language) was there so she could help us understand the directions!! I also had some time to talk to her about some of my concerns with teaching the English classes. She pretty much put my mind at ease.





After the games were done, we had a picnic lunch and the kids were off to play. They had a HUGE cement slide that Morgan had a blast on. The kids had to put cardboard or plastic bottles under themselves so that they could go fast.



The school bus came to take a lot of people down to their cars and to take us back to the school. It was SO packed on the bus!! Cole got stuffed in the very back and Morgan and I were in the front seat with two other adults.
It was 12:00 by the time we got back to the school and the nursery pick up was underway. When I walked into the school, I heard “hi Mom”. I turned around to see Laina sitting on a swing. She didn’t even bother to get off to come see me!! She really is starting to enjoy school….except the initial separation!


Since Chris had the car, we stayed at the school for an hour while we waited for Alysa’s class to end. Lily told me to go peek in on her since she was doing so good in her Spanish class. Of course she was sitting right next to Juan Fer!! It definitely was progress that she was sitting down rather than standing in the corner though!!
We returned home to no water once again!! Apparently this time lightning had struck near a transformer and all the power was out for the water pump. The dishes and laundry sure were stacking up!! At about 8:30 we found out that the storm was so bad that they wouldn’t be able to do anything about fixing the power until the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment