We made progress today!! We were able to do the drive-thru drop off even though I did end up getting out of the car and walking Alysa and Laina to the door. At the door though, they left without screaming and running back. Morgan held Alysa's hand and Laina's teachers took her. I guess it helped that we promised them that we'd go out for ice cream for Family Home Evening if ALL of the kids went to school on their own.
After the school drop off, Chris took me back home and he left for work. I spent the whole day cleaning. It really stinks because the second the kids came in it looked the exact same as it had that morning!! All that hard work and it doesn't even show!!
Chris was working late and the kids were hungry but there was still no gas so I went to microwave hot dogs for the kids. I figured that would keep them happy until we were able to take them out for ice cream. It would have been a great plan but at that same moment the power went out in all of Guatemala. Chris came home about that time so we went into town to look for a place with a generator to eat. We were able to get some dinner but we didn't have much luck with the ice cream we had promised the kids! Without power, all the ice cream places were closed.
When we got back home, the power was back on but it did something to the electric water heater so no hot water!! If it isn't one thing, it's another!!
5/5/09
The baby steps are finally starting to get us somewhere! Today all four kids got out of the car on their own and took their backpacks and physically walked themselves into school!! YEAH!!! No crying!! (As happy as I was, it was a little sad to see them all so grown up and leaving me!!)
After school we once again had to break the promise of taking the kids out for ice cream since our landlords dad was coming over to try to fix the water heater. He "fixed" it but it is still having problems!!
I felt so bad for the kids that I opted to take them for ice cream before dinner since I had to be at choir practice at 7:00. The kids were in high heaven when they were allowed to order anything off of the menu. Of course Morgan and Cole chose the biggest banana split they had. Alysa and Laina were a little more reserved in their selection.
Choir was fun. I was pretty nervous about playing for people. It didn't help that nobody spoke any English and that it was a digital piano that I have never used before!! It all worked out though and we were able to communicate well enough until Lily came to help. Morgan also went with me (I think she just wanted an excuse to stay up late!!). I was very proud that she tried to sing with the choir.
5/6/09
This morning Laina was complaining about her stomach hurting when she got up. She said she still wanted to go to school and she got dressed. She was in tears though and I could tell that she really didn't feel good. I put her back in bed to rest for a minute but when we went back to check on her, she was fast asleep. I left her home while Chris was on a conference call and ran the other kids to school. Alysa was sad because Laina wouldn't be there to hold hands with at the end of the day while they waited to be picked up. I thought that was pretty cool!!
I talked to the principal and told her that I will teach the English classes for a few months. I start the first week of June. I told her that I won't be able to take any Spanish classes if I teach and that they will have to help teach me. She said she'd do anything I wanted. You could see the relief on her face when I said that I would do it.
A while after I got back home, Laina woke up. When she realized that everybody else had left for school and she didn't get to go, she was devastated. She cried for so long. She was pretty hot and wasn't eating at all. She slept half of the day and the other half I had to play school with her.
She had to go with me to pick up the other kids from school. While we were waiting outside of the big kid building, she threw up all over the grass. One of the moms in her car gave me a bunch of toilet paper to clean her up. How embarrassing!! I sure wish my kids would quit throwing up everywhere!!
When we got home, Cole was pleased to find his friend, "Stevie".
(We later found out that Stevie will bite and that we'd have to go to the doctor!!)

5/7/09
Laina was still sick so she stayed home again. Chris dropped the other three off at school and went to work. Laina only threw up one more time and after that seemed to be getting better. We spent the day cuddling, watching movies, playing school, and having one on one time. It was pretty nice to spend some time with her even if I didn't get anything else accomplished!
We did go to a baby shower at the church and attempted to figure out what people were saying. I am picking out more words but not really putting them all together unless a person is talking directly to me and speaking VERY slowly!!
The rain is out of control!! I can not believe how much rain there is. (Remember we spent the last 9 years in the desert with NO rain!!) The roads remind me of break up time in Alaska. There are potholes everywhere. People put cinderblock bricks in the road to warn of the upcoming hole. I don't know which is more dangerous, running into the bricks or hitting the pothole!! Tonight the rain was coming down pretty hard and the roads were flooding. I was told that in one part of town the houses are two stories and the bottom floor is pretty much under water for the entire rainy season!
For Cub Scouts, Cole needs to start a collection. He decided today that he is going to make a collection of pictures of the ugly/nasty dogs here. Here are the first two pictures for his collection.

No comments:
Post a Comment