Monday, June 1, 2009

5/31/09-6/1/09

Sunday, 5/31/09
You've got to be kidding me!! I practiced so much on the songs to play for today. (Two songs with 4 flats!! UGH) I started playing the songs and everything was going great until the congregation started to sing. They sang both songs to their own beat!! I don't know what was going on but I was playing the music and trying to follow the chorister but nobody was singing with us!! The first half of the song they'd sing really slow and then at the end they'd sing it twice as fast! I was so flustered by the end that I ended up just playing one hand and trying to keep up with them. Afterwards, Chris told me that it was the same way on his mission. The people don't know the songs so they sing them how they want. I hope it was just those two songs and not an on going battle!! I think I'll have to turn the piano up a lot more next week. (It's a digital).

Monday, 6/1/09
My first Monday at school: The kids are definitely testing me and trying to see how far they can push me. The boundaries are A LOT tighter than with their previous teacher. I can't believe how many people have commented on the 5th grade in particular as being unruly and lacking any respect for teacher authority. They've got a long couple of months coming if they think they are going to push me around!! They are definitely fighting back against the rules but I am pretty sure that they will eventually come around. I am a little confused with the lack of guidance that I have been given and for the lack of communication. I did all my planning for this week and met with the principal on Friday. She told me that they aren't going to have school on Friday for some reason but it wasn't on the calendar. That would have been helpful to know before I planned everything!! Oh, well. I am also wondering when they are going to send the notes home to let the parents know that there is no school on Friday!!
I don't know how working moms do it!! I am feeling like a pretty crappy mom after one week of working. I feel like all of my time is spent "planning" activities for class, preparing to teach piano lesson, making meals, cleaning (or at least pick up some of the dead bugs!), etc. I haven't had much time to really sit down with the kids and see how they are doing. It was really evident tonight when Cole couldn't sleep and was throwing fits. I went to lay down with him and he broke down. He said that he wants to go back to the U.S. (So he can have his own room again since him and Alysa were fighting). He then told me that he doesn't have anybody to talk to except for his stuffed bunny. I felt pretty bad for him. We talked for a while and he eventually went to bed.
Since we haven't been able to be "spiritually uplifted" at church, we are trying to make an extra effort to have "lessons" with the kids at home. For Family Home Evening tonight, we did the primary lesson for next week in English. Even though it takes more planning and motivation on our part, I think it'll benefit the whole family in the long run. Hopefully next Sunday when the kids go to their primary classes they will be able to get a little bit more out of the class since they already know what the lesson is about.
It sure feels like there is a lot of "stuff" to do lately. I hope that I can try harder to keep my priorities straight and remember what really is important in the long run!! Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! What an amazing, strong family you have. Keep smiling and know that we are thinking of you guys.
    Are you still looking for a 5th grade pen pal? Jacob will be a 5th grader for a few more weeks.
    Take care! :) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand how you feel playing the piano. They announced I would be leading the singing my first week in the mission and I didn't even know they were talking about me! When the song started, I stopped it because I thought everyone was singing a different song. Who knew they just sang the right song their own way? You will make it, you are goog like that! We miss you guys! Teresa

    ReplyDelete