Tuesday, July 14, 2009

7/14/09-7/15/09

Tuesday 7/14/09
Random thoughts:
I was talking with my friend the other day and she told me that she had let some cows into her yard to eat the grass so that she wouldn't have to mow it!! I hadn't realized it but there are no lawn mowers here!! Either the animals eat it to keep it short or people use scissors to trim it!!
As I get more and more excited about our trip back to the states, the more I realize how much traveling time we're going to be putting in. I am hoping that all of the crazy car rides here have gotten the kids to the point where they won't get car sick on our trip to/from Texas!!
I really need to work on my numbers. I don't know if I have a mental block or what but I can not seem to be able to figure out my Spanish numbers!!
With the rainy season here, nothing dries...including our towels. They smell so bad if you don't wash them every single day. We've gotten to the point where we hang them outside in the sun in the morning and hope that we get home to pull them back in before they get rained on!! It makes such a difference to have a dry, non smelly towel!
Today at school, the P.E. teacher was handing out little pieces of paper for a gym. It is in the same little town (La Esperanza just outside of Xela) that we live in. I was trying to figure out where it was and he was giving me directions from the Iglesia (church). I didn't know what Iglesia he was talking about since they are EVERYWHERE here!! He finally said the Mormon (with a very thick accent so that I could barely figure out the word!) church and he asked me what religion I was. I got the impression that he already knew and was just wondering why I couldn't figure out what church he was talking about!! I'd like to check out the gym since it is close and I could really use some more exercise!!
Today I used bribery to get the 5th grade class to behave. They had won a pizza party but I told them they wouldn't get to go if they weren't good. They were much better!!
I am really starting to enjoy the 4th grade. They really seem interested in learning and want to be there.
I was able to carry on different conversations with several of the teachers today. I think we understood each other but I can never tell for sure.
When we got home from school, Chris was there. He was still not feeling very well so he was doing a lot of work from home today. His illness seems to be on the tail end though.
I left for choir with a ton of time. When I tried to get out of the development, I had to honk to get the security guard to finally come let me out of the gate. Halfway to the church, I realized that I had forgotten my hymn book and song list so I had to turn around and go back home. When I got to the gate, I waited, I honked, I waited some more, I honked again, I waited even longer and still no security guard. He had left half of the exit gate open and people were coming out of it but still no guard. I finally got so frustrated that I just left the van at the gate and ran in through the open part. I ran across the whole development to our house, got my book, and ran less than halfway back before I thought I was going to die. I made it back to the gate and still no guard!! I was not a happy camper! Chris sent a nasty gram to the developer and also went and talked to the security guard to make sure that they would let me back in when I got home!! I knew I was in for some serious pain when my shins were already hurting when I was trying to push the pedal while I played the piano at choir!!
I am really starting to like my friends at choir. They are starting to understand the words that I do/don't know and they really try to help me out. Even though I am the blacksheep of the choir, I feel accepted and welcomed!!

Wednesday 7/15/09

(The kids in my quilting club)
Has anybody read the story, the girl in a whirl? My brother told me that it reminds him of me. Well, this week, it reminds me of me and I am at the end of the story where the girl crashes!! I do not know how single working moms do it!! I am at school all day, come home to clean, cook, do laundry, take care of the kids, etc. Chris is usually really good about helping out but he's been having to work so late that the kids are ready for bed by the time he gets home.
I am definitely looking forward to being able to crash this weekend!!!

By “Dr. Sue” aka Vickie Gunther

Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
You could do what I do if you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day;
I bake, I upholster, I scrub, and I pray.
I always keep all the commandments completely;
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.
I help in their classrooms! I sew all they wear!
I drive them to practice! I cut all their hair!
I memorize names of the General Authorities;
I focus on things to be done by priorities.
I play the piano! I bless with my talents!
My toilets all sparkle! My checkbooks all balance!
Each week every child gets a one-on-one date;
I attend all my meetings (on time! Never late!)
I’m taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all.
I track my bad habits ’til each is abolished;
Our t-shirts are ironed! My toenails are polished!
Our family home evenings are always delightful;
The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully, too. It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early, refreshed and awake;
I know all the names of each youth in my stake!
I read to my children! I help all my neighbors!
I bless the community, too, with my labors.
I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
(I also go do it for someone who missed hers.
It’s the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.)
I chart resolutions and check off each goal;
I seek each “lost lamb” on my Primary roll.
I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all.
I write in my journal! I sing in the choir!
Each day, I write “thank you’s” to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!
My kids get straight A’s! And their bedrooms are clean!
I have a home business to help make some money;
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I change the car’s tires! I fix the sink’s leak!
I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread;
I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.
I make sure I rotate our two-years’ supply;
My shopping for Christmas is done by July!
These things are not hard; It’s good if you do them;
You can if you try! Just set goals and pursue them!
It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!
It’s easy!” she said…and then she dropped dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment