Thursday, July 16, 2009

7/16/09

Thursday, July 16, 2009
My shins hurt so bad that I can barely walk today!! Mental note, don't run across the development when the guards don't open the gate!! Just lay on the horn until they come!!

Oh, boy, oh, boy. In the middle of Morgan and Cole's Spanish class, their teacher was called out by the principal. She came back in to get her key and never returned. Apparently she was pretty much forced to quit. She was crying in front of some students the day before and that didn't go over too well with the principal. Anyway, Morgan and Cole no longer have a Spanish class by themselves. Starting tomorrow they will be put into the 3rd grade and 4th grade Spanish classes. The principal thought (and I agree) that it would be better for Morgan to be with the 4th grade kids rather than the 5th graders. They will be able to help her out more and are nicer. Morgan will also be in my 4th grade English class rather than being my helper. This will be interesting!! Even though they are both scared to death, I am sure that in the long run they will learn more and make more friends. It's just the initial change that is going to be tough. Now they'll get a glimpse into Alysa's and Laina's world!!
In my classes, we have been studying the laws of motion. We have been having a lot of fun (especially 4th grade) doing our "experiments". We set up two strings with a straw on them that went all the way across the classroom. We blew up balloons and taped them to the straws to race them across the classroom. I was so lightheaded by the end of the day from blowing up balloons!!
Morgan and Cole had music and computers today so we had to stay late. I took the computer and was able to get onto Skype to talk to Brittany (my older sister) for a little while. It was so fun to walk around the school so she could see it on the video.....until I went to far away and the internet cut off!! All the 5th graders got to say hi and talk for a minute. It's always a good pick me up to talk to family!!
I was even more excited after school that Cole was playing with his friends!! YEAH!! He never plays during recess and when I try to get him to, he says that he wants to stay with me. I figured it was because he was just being shy but today he told me that it's because it's the only time he gets to see me during the day!! I guess I can't be upset that he still wants to spend time with his mom!! He has one friend named, Angel, that lived in the United States (just found out today that it was in Idaho!!) for a couple of years and his English is really good. He is going to be Cole's "helper" when he goes to Spanish class. There are two 3rd grade classes that switch back and forth with English in the morning one week then English in the afternoon the next. Up until now, Cole has been alternating classes each week since he always has to go to English in the afternoon. I am so glad that they decided to put Cole in the class that Angel is in rather than the other class.
Even though it is sometimes tough here, we are extremely grateful for the chance that we have to be here and to be learning and growing. We often think about how different things could have been if we had stayed in the states. With the lack of work and the economy, we are soooo blessed to have this opportunity. We realize that there are trials and hard times no matter where we go....just different kinds!!

Today we had our first Mayan lady come to the door trying to get a job cleaning the house. I am pretty amazed that it has taken this long. From what I was told when we first moved here, we'd have people lined up at our door. I am still really uncomfortable with the idea of somebody coming in and cleaning. I don't like the idea of a "servant" but it is pretty much expected here. Everybody has servants!! I always thought that's what I had 4 kids for!!

The kids and I have been talking about when we are going to go back to the states. I think we've decided to go back in time for Halloween. The girls all want to dress up as Mayan ladies (Laina also calls them bumbo girls) with baskets on their heads for candy. We keep joking around that we're going to have to have somebody teach us the art of balancing stuff on our heads before then!! It is amazing what people carry on their heads here!!



No comments:

Post a Comment