Thursday, October 15, 2009

10/14/09-10/20/09

Wednesday 10/14/09
I stayed home again today. I figured that there wasn't really anything that I HAD to do at school and it was more important to get better. I am sooo glad that I made that decision! Instead, I graded tests, tried to clean a little, and I even actually made dinner. To make it even better, Cole said it was a grandma dinner! WOW!! That's the biggest compliment my little boy can give me about dinner!

Thursday 10/15/09
I took the kids into school this morning but instead of staying, I told the principal that I will not be teaching for the rest of the year. I felt so guilt ridden when I told her but now that it is over, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me!! They only have 5 days left anyway and all of that time is going to be spent doing tests or practicing their dances for the closing clausura. Who knows, I might not even take the kids in next week!
I kept Laina with me since she wasn't feeling well and we headed to the grocery store for the first time in weeks!! It was so exciting until she started throwing up in the car while I was driving. I have to say that I am the most talented throw up catcher in the world these days!! I was able to drive (on the crazy roads), find a plastic garbage bag (we keep the van well stocked!!), and hold it open for her to throw up!! It was amazing! (Yes, only a parent could fully appreciate this!)
On that same note, Cole went on a field trip with his class today to a doctor's office. Apparently they were showing the kids some gross stuff that they had removed from a stomach. Cole (being his father's son with a weak stomach for gross stuff!!) got queasy and the doctor ended up having to take care of him!! I later found out that they gave him some medicine (This country is a very medicine oriented country. If there is any ailment....medicine, medicine, medicine!!)
Going in the other direction, I am starting to regain a little bit of my strength and starting to feel more like a normal operating human being again!
Only 9 more days to go!!

Friday 10/16/09
Today was the last day of English finals but none of the kids were feeling well and they didn't want to go to school. Morgan wanted to go because she was supposed to help Sully in the snack shack at the school. I packed everybody up, dropped Morgan off and had Alysa and Cole run in and take their tests. They were done in about 10 minutes!! For some reason our kids don't take very long to do the English tests!! (:
While the kids were taking their tests, Laina managed to throw up in the car once again. I need to restock the plastic bag supply!!
After that ordeal, the three younger kids and myself headed back home. We spent the day lounging and correcting tests. Cole was my helper!! Alysa and Laina miraculously healed and played ballerinas all day.

Saturday 10/17/09
I am the most evil mom in the entire world! I had the nerve to have Morgan clean the sink after doing the dishes!! You would have thought that I was physically torturing her with the wailing she was doing!!
I finally finished a year and a half long project for my mom!! Two summers ago she found a wall hanging quilt pattern of a moose that she liked. She changed it to be the size for placemats and I agreed to make 10 of them!! I am so glad that they are finally done!! She's going to have to get some plastic covering for them because if anybody spills food on them, I'll probably loose it!! They took FOREVER!

As a family we went to Central Park. There was some sort of a fair going on. The amusement rides were hilarious!! It looked like they had taken old broken down Barbie jeeps (the kind that kids drive) and welded them onto a circle which was attached to a hand crank!! It was a little scary! Needless to say, our kids didn't get a turn on the rides!
While I took a nap, Chris took the kids to get some kites. They bought two at the grocery store (The Guatemalan version of Wal-Mart) and on the way home saw a street vendor selling some for 1/3 the price. He bought two more so that each kid would have one. Guess which ones worked and which ones wouldn't fly at all!! Yup, the expensive ones were pieces of junk and the cheapies actually worked!! The kids really had fun except Alysa who was frustrated!! They were all getting the hang of it. Now when they say they are bored, I can tell them to "Go fly a kite!".


Notice the aluminum siding shack behind the kids. The workers put these up when they are building houses. They store their supplies in them and often sleep in them since it takes so long for them to travel home each night.


Laina was huffing and puffing after running around for so long with her kite today!!)

Remember the aluminum siding shack??? Well, they just built this this week. It is their version of a port-a-potty. I have to admit that I am very impressed with this work crew (they even wear hard hats!) and am grateful that they have their port-a-potty since the house they are building is right across the street from us and I really don't like looking out the window to see people peeing!!



While watching a movie tonight, Laina opted to sit on a plastic chair and watch it on the computer screen while everybody else sat on the couches and watched it on the t.v. screen. After a while, I heard a weird noise and realized that she was sucking her thumb which meant, she had fallen asleep!! Sure enough, she had her head propped up on the desk and was fast asleep! Unlike all of our other kids, she seems to be able to fall asleep about anywhere and in record speed!!

Sunday 10/18/09
Laina and Morgan wanted to wear their traditional dresses to church today. Emiliana had taken them home and washed them for us and she also offered to help us get the girls dressed. So, before church, we went over to her house and she helped get the skirts on. She does such a better job than I do!! Chris got a few pictures with his phone so they aren't the best quality but you can at least get an idea of the surroundings. Emiliana is such an amazing lady!! She just exudes loves and compassion!! I have learned so much from her just by her example!! I can't wait for my family to meet her when they come to visit!! It'll be hilarious to see her stand next to Tyler!! She's probably not even 5' and he's about 6'8" I believe!!

On the left is Emiliana's 9 year old son, her 13 year old daughter, and herself.

See the green sink behind Laina to the right. That is the laundry basin that she washes everything in!

Today was our last Sunday here for the year. Next week I should be able to understand the lesson!! I do have to say that our R.S. teacher today is great. Her name is Norma Perez and she uses visual aides which really help me a lot!!

Monday 10/19/09
Tuesday is a national holiday. Rather than having Saturday and Sunday off, working Monday, then having Tuesday off, the job site opted to celebrate the holiday on Monday. Since Chris wasn't working, we decided to let the kids stay home from school and spend time with him before we leave! Chris and Cole were able to get haircuts while the little girls watched. Morgan and I ran in to the school to drop off all of the graded exams and the report cards. (Yeah!! I am done!!) We all met up for lunch before going home.
For our Family Home Evening we decided to do something nice for Emiliana and also for the Cheney family for helping us while I was in the hospital. The kids decided they wanted to make cookies. We used our last bag of milk chocolate chips from the states!! It felt good to be able to do something nice for people. I hope that the kids are learning something at the same time!

Tuesday 10/20/09
I kept the kids home from school again today. The kids are actually meeting at the theatre to practice the dances today and since none of my kids want to participate, I figure there's no point in going!! Instead, we washed all of our clothes then picked out what we want to take to the U.S. We got almost everything packed in 4 suitcases (even with 3 extra suitcases packed inside of the suitcases!!) Now, what are we going to do to stay busy for the next 3 days??
After choir, we had a special drink supposedly since I was leaving. It was a combination of the interesting rice drink and hot chocolate. It was very tasty until I got to the rice part. Something about drinking rice just doesn't work for me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment