Today was officially the last day of classes at school. The kids were very excited. I'm not sure if it was because it was the last day or if it was because they didn't have to wear their uniforms! I decided to go in a little early to take the 4th graders a treat. Rice Krispies are pretty rare and very expensive here but Corn Flakes are EVERYWHERE!! So, I made Corn Flake treats instead of Rice Krispy treats. They loved it and it was easy!!
While at the school, I felt really out of place. I felt more like I did when the kids first started school and I had a hard time leaving them rather than feeling like a person who has taught half the school year!! I am a little nervous to see how next year goes especially since the two other teachers that I felt comfortable with are both leaving!! UGH!!
Since I was pretty much out of commission the past couple of weeks, Morgan has not been able to go to her Faith In God activities. I promised her that I would take her for her last one which was today. I am still blown away by how comfortable Morgan is and how excited she is to be with the other girls. Her leader is an incredible person also!! She sat and talked to me for a little while. She wants me to bring her some yarn to make a sweater since they don't have real yarn anywhere here in Xela!
Thursday 10/22/09
O.K. So I am the biggest wimp in the entire world! I am scared to death to drive around the Central Park area.....much less attempt to park somewhere! The roads are so tiny and you can't see anything and they are all one ways but I don't know which way! Anyway, the school had their final practice for their big production today at a theatre in Central Park. When I found out where it was, I opted to not attend the final performance. (Do you seriously think I am going to do that drive/parking IN THE DARK!!???) So, being guilt ridden, I decided to at least go to the last practice. Yes, being the wimp that I am, I drove to Chris' job site and begged him to drop us off!! He reluctantly agreed. We watched the practice and I was pretty disappointed that nobody wore their costumes. I thought for sure it would be a dress rehearsal! Oh, well. When we were finished, the kids and I started walking back until we met up with Chris and he took us back to the job site! Someday when I don't have 4 kids yelling in the car and I don't have anywhere in particular that I have to be, I might go drive around and try to get a little more oriented in the crazy maze they call streets!
The rest of the afternoon was filled with cleaning, packing, and a little t.v. for the kids. We also had a visit from the sister missionaries in our ward. One of them is from the states and her parents are currently living in Utah so I told her that I would take some stuff to them on my way through Utah. She said that her parents would love to talk to somebody that knows the area she is living in and some of the experiences. I don't know if my stories will put them at ease or scare them!!
Friday 10/23/09
What a fun morning with the kids! We went down to the market in search of some last minute gifts and baskets for the kids Halloween costumes. We found the gifts right away but the baskets took forever. We walked up and down every single block of the market but nobody had the baskets. About half of the people were carrying the baskets but nobody was selling them!! We had all but given up and were heading back towards the car when we happened on a little stand that had a basket. We ran over to see if it was actually for sale and found out that there were three baskets all put together!! What are the chances. We bought all the three and the girls are ready to go trick or treating Mayan style!!
I can't believe that we are leaving tomorrow. The kids keep asking me (every half hour) how many more hours until we leave for Guatemala City? It is definitely going to be a long day tomorrow for everybody. We all have a 4 hour drive to the city then a couple hours at the airport, then several in the air, then luggage and customs in Houston, then another flight, then to Vegas and a long drive to the house! It could be a lot worse though! From start to finish, it should be about 16 hours. Piece of cake with 4 kids!! (Wish us luck!) Oh, and Chris gets to do the 4 hour drive back to Xela by himself!! Poor guy. We are sure going to miss him!

No comments:
Post a Comment