Friday, January 8, 2010

1/2/10-1/9/10

Saturday, January 2, 2010
We finished up at the house in Las Vegas and headed for the airport. Most people would be a little stressed about traveling with kids but I was very calm. I didn't worry about making our connecting flight or anything. It was kind of weird. The terror hit me though when we got on the second flight going from Houston to Guatemala and they started making all of the announcements in English and Spanish. It was at that moment that all of my fears came back! UGH!! I have to work on my Spanish again. To make it even worse, when we got off the plane, somebody said something to me in Spanish and I noticed that my first instinct is to look at the floor! Where did my self confidence go??? I went from being invincible in the states to being the timid little girl that wanted to hide behind her dads leg!! (or in this case Chris' leg!)


Sunday, January 3, 2010
The drive back to Xela made up for the nice calm of the flights yesterday. Can you seriously expect 4 kids to sit in a row with 3 seats for a 3 1/2 hour drive with NO DVD PLAYER??? I can not believe the fighting that was going on. It was probably the worst drive we've had to make. On the positive side though, nobody actually threw up!
It did help me a little to read all of the street signs on the drive home and realize that I actually have learned something and I'm not a complete idiot at this language stuff!
It was so good to get back to the house. I was completely exhausted but I still had to empty all of the suitcases.


Monday, January 4, 2010
Chris had to go back to work today but the kids and I stayed home and went through all of their clothes and tried to get ourselves somewhat organized. It was so nice to have the kids all playing together and going outside to the park. It was the complete opposite of the drive yesterday!
Can I just say that it is FREEZING here! It is nice outside but inside it is an icebox! Chris is very happy with the flannel sheets that I got him for Christmas!! Our bed now has flannel sheets, a fuzzy blanket, a wool blanket, and a comforter and we still have to wear sweats, sweatshirts, and socks!! The idea of having to get out of bed in the morning is not enjoyable!


Tuesday, January 5, 2010
My first venture out! The kids and I went to the grocery store. I am feeling a little more comfortable and realize that I can do this!! (I just have to remind myself....often!) I still find myself smiling at the littlest things that bring me joy here. For example: one chicken bus was trying to make a left turn. A chicken bus that had the right away stopped and let the 1st chicken bus make the turn. The 1st bus gave the 2nd bus a honk in thanks. Now, I realize that most people would be irritated that the 2nd bus stopped traffic to do this but I really like the commrodore between the drivers and the little signals that they have for each other.


Wednesday, January 6, 2010
The kids and I started their homeschooling today. I had a big long table with all of their stuff. Morgan and Cole have the Calvert homeschooling to do. Alysa and Laina didn't want to be left out so I had to make up some work for them to do also. All four of the kids sat at the table for 3 hours working on stuff. I was shocked! I am pretty worried about homeschooling the older two and teaching class. I don't know how I am going to do it all. The more I look at the homeschooling stuff, the more involved I am realizing this is going to be.
We went to visit Chris at work tonight so we could see the progress on the temple. It has changed a lot! I can't wait to get to go inside sometime!
For those who are Twilight fans, you'll appreciate this. For the rest of you, just disregard it! It is sooooo cold here that when I kissed Chris tonight, I thought that that was what Bella felt like when she kissed Edwards stone cold lips! I can't remember his lips ever being so cold!


Thursday, January 7, 2010 The kids and I went down to the Beehive school today to see what is going on. It was weird going back into the school but it was nice to see everyone's reaction to us being there. There are so many changes this year. The classroom that I was planning to teach in had another teacher in it. I talked with Michelle and she told me that there are a lot of students that aren't returning this year, but also a lot of new students. The problem is that the new students don't have a high enough level of English to go into the regular English classes. Instead of teaching the class that I was planning on, she asked if I would teach a special class for these new students so that they can improve their English to the point where they can go back into the regular English class. I have no idea how much (if any) English they know. I will also have kids from 2nd grade through 5th grade. Each grade will be going to specials and recesses at different times. This is definitely going to be interesting. I am pretty excited though because I get my own classroom. I won't have to share it with another teacher and I won't have to go from room to room. I will teach in the mornings one week and then in the afternoons the next week. The half of the day that I am not teaching, I will be able to work with Morgan and Cole on their homeschooling. The half of the day that I am teaching, they can stay in my class and work on their homeschooling or they can help me with my class. This might work out after all.


Friday, January 8, 2010
The kids are still excited to do their school work! Alysa and Laina got a little bored today but they were perfectly content to go play with their baby dolls and let me work with Morgan and Cole.
After a few hours of school work, I make the kids go out and play. The days are so gorgeous here!! I forgot that even though it is freezing inside, the kids can get sunburned during the day!!


Saturday, January 9, 2010
I woke up this morning and I could actually breath out of both nostrils!! Yeah, I am finally starting to get better! My body is still trying to recover from the pneumonia!! I think my immune system was shot and I am just catching everything and anything!
Earlier this week, I told Morgan that I am going to be pretty busy so she's going to have to cook dinner once a week. That was the most exciting thing that I could have ever told her! Her and Cole have been going through cookbooks and looking up recipes on the internet. Well, today the family went to the market. Morgan had a list of stuff that she needed and her and Cole bought all of the stuff that they needed. Morgan did all the talking and Cole was the muscle behind the operation. They did get a little out of control buying limes, but I'm sure we'll eventually eat them all!



After the market, we took the kids to the toy store to use their Christmas money. The girls bought a shelf thing with baskets so they would have somewhere to put their toys. The kids decided to switch rooms again so that Alysa and Laina would be together. The rest of the day was spent moving rooms around and reorganizing stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment