Sunday, January 24, 2010

1/24/10-1/30/10

Sunday, January 24, 2010
I have NEVER seen a church as packed as ours was today! There were people standing at the back so the stake representative stood up and asked everybody to scoot in and make room. That even included a completely full overflow. Relief Society was soooo full! It was just amazing. There have been lots of talk about the ward splitting in March. We'll see. I'm kind of hoping it doesn't since the boundaries will most likely take all of the people that I am comfortable with!!
Today I was asked to attend a stake music committee meeting. I was really hoping that Sis. Cheney would be there for her ward but she wasn't. For the first time ever, I had to stand up and introduce myself in Spanish. I can't believe I've never had to do that before!! Everybody got a good chuckle when I had to double check with Paola (the music coordinator in our ward who is so amazingly patient with me!!) to make sure I had said the right word for pianist! It also turned out that I was the only pianist there! The other wards in the stake were apparently trying to figure out how we were able to have such a good ward turnout. I told our ward music coordinator, Paola, to tell them that each ward just needs to have a crazy, red headed, gringa to laugh at and people will show up! Our ward choir really has a great time! That is one place that I have never felt like I wasn't wanted/needed/appreciated! There is a great bond with the members! During the meeting, Paola, asked me if I could do the music course for the ward......at least that's what I understood!! I later found out that the entire stake has been invited to participate!! EEK!! I'm sure my parents are glad to know that all the years of piano lessons are finally benefitting other people!!
During my "free time", I looked up the Gringo Loco Pizza place and ended up finding the blog for the Thomas family. It turns out that they moved here from Virginia with their 4 kids. It was so fun to read the blog and hear about somebody else going through the same thing we are!! I can't wait to meet them and compare stories!


Monday, January 25, 2010
Today was my first day of teaching class. The day started with Alysa and Laina both throwing fits and refusing to go to class. At one point I was asked to go back down and take care of Laina because she wouldn't stop crying. When I went down, I found Alysa sitting on the swings by herself when she was supposed to be in class. Apparently she just got up and left. I'm not sure what to do. I spent the whole morning with them and didn't get to work with Morgan and Cole and then I had to go and teach the new class. The new class is a complete joke! The kids don't know any Spanish except for their numbers, colors, letters, shapes, etc.!! I have grades 3-5 but then they tried to add a 1st grader also that can't even write. Seriously, how am I supposed to teach 12 kids at the same time that don't understand anything I am saying and I don't understand anything that they are saying??? Not to mention that each grade has a different schedule for their "specials" so I have kids coming in and out all throughout the class! What am I supposed to do?


Tuesday, January 26, 2010
UGH!! More frustration. I am really struggling at the school. My kids don't want to be there, I don't want to be there, Chris doesn't want me to be there!! And then it hit me when I found out that Alysa's English teacher quit....I can quit!! For people that know me, I am quite stubborn (I actually prefer the term 'determined') and won't give up on something once I start. I am thinking that this might be the one exception! Should I or should I not? That is what I thought about the entire night while I should have been sleeping!


Wednesday, January 27, 2010
On the way to school, I talked to the kids about what they would like. Cole said he'd miss his friends and working in Sully's shack. Morgan said she'd miss Sully's shack and starting the cheerleading club (if she got a spot). Alysa said she'd miss her new friend that speaks English with her. Laina could care less! I am still so torn inside. Everything is telling me that I need to quit but I hate the feeling that I'm giving up or letting somebody else down. I keep reminding myself that I am letting my family down if I don't. What to do, what to do!

Well, the decision was made for me when I approached the owner to discuss my feelings. The way she reacted to me made up my mind. I can not believe some of the things that she said to me about my family, my kids, my character, and myself. This is definitely not a place that I need to be. I offered to stay for up to a week if she wanted. I told her to let me know how long she wanted me to stay and she walked out. I took that as an I don't want to ever see you again so I packed up all of my stuff, got all of Alysa and Laina's books, and we left. I haven't cried that much in a long time! I can't remember the last time that somebody had said things that were so hurtful towards me.

Even though I was an emotional wreck, I still felt that it was the right decision and my family would be better off for it. It will also free up a lot more time that I can do something that will benefit the people here! The kids and I are already making plans for special activities to do.


Thursday, January 28, 2010
It was amazingly nice to wake up when it was light outside and to not have to wake up the kids and fight with them to get ready for school! It was so relaxing! Once Chris left for work, we began the homeschooling. Homeschooling all 4 kids is going to be quite interesting. Morgan is very independent and gets her work done....it just takes her forever! Cole is so speedy but needs a little more help. He always finishes more work than he is supposed to! Alysa is a little sponge and can't get enough work! Laina likes doing work but gets very easily distracted and goes off to play which is great with me! We have the study downstairs that is set up as our classroom and we're working on getting a system going.

I realize it was the first day back at home but it was amazing how much more relaxed everybody was....especially me! I might even get a few minutes to work on some mending.....and updating this blog!!


Friday, January 29, 2010
I am still pretty irritated about how things ended at the school but it really makes up for it by having a day like today!! Even though Morgan has a cold and didn't want to get out of bed, we were still able to get all of our homeschooling done.....in bed! After all of their work was done, the kids played outside forever. I was so happy that they were able to be real kids and run around and use their imaginations!!
We've been waiting all week for our visit to Gringo Loco Pizza tonight. We weren't exactly sure where it was so it took us a little while to find it. It was so fun to get to meet the Thomas family. We actually met the dad and the oldest kid. I am pretty excited to meet the rest! They live pretty close to us and are even in our stake.

Saturday, January 30, 2010
Today was a pretty lazy day. Alysa wanted to do homework this morning and was pretty mad when I told her it was Saturday and we weren't doing homeschooling!
While Chris was at a concrete pour, the kids and I continued to work on a quilt that we started yesterday. I let the kids have all of my fleece scraps and some scissors. I put a piece of fleece on the ground for a backing and let them make up shapes to sew on to it. It has kept them busy for a while! As part of our homeschooling, we are having a humanitarian "club". The kids are helping with projects to help people here. I am so impressed with how much enthusiasm they have!

No comments:

Post a Comment