Friday, February 27, 2009

2/24/09 cont

What a day! We have definitely been blessed today!  To get the full picture, I need to back up a little.  Last Tuesday (17th) we finally got the go ahead that we would be moving in a week and to get our tickets.  The flights were either great or horrible.  They ranged from just over 7 hours to around 24 hours.  The flight that I wanted for Monday was a little bit pricier than we would probably have been allowed.  I asked Chris if we could possibly go on Tuesday instead so we could take care of the last minute details on Monday.  He was able to get it approved!  It turned out that on Tuesday there was an additional flight leaving at 11:40 am with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Houston.  We'd be into Guatemala at 10:00 (8:00 las vegas time).  Not only was it the flight we wanted but it was also $200 cheaper per ticket than the Monday flight!  The only flights that were cheaper were the red eyes that took 15+ hours......and they were only about $50 cheaper.  So, we booked the flight not even realizing that they were first class seats!  With 1st class seats, we were allowed 3 free bags up to 70# each rather than 50# bags with a $25 fee for a 2nd and $100 for a third.  Since we are moving away for about two years and all we can take is our luggage, the 1st class tickets actually saved us money!
We ended up having to have two vehicles (one was a full size truck!) to take us and all of our luggage.  When we got there and I talked to the curbside check in guy, he told me to wait there with all the bags while he ran inside and got our bag tags.  I later found out that they do not do curbside check in for international flights and that he actually went inside and did the entire check in process for us just so we wouldn't have to lug in 18 bags + 3 carry ons + 6 backpacks + 4 kids!!  What a wonderful start to the trip!
- Security point: They told us to go to the handicap/family line so we wouldn't have to wait as long.
-Boarding: First class got to go to the front of the line.
-Plane: Not only did we get the fancy plush seats, but the kids were entertained with all the other amenities.  The kids really liked that they got fancy meals.  Cole even tried the soup!!  They also liked having the bathroom just for first class.  I can not believe how well the kids did.  I don't think they even bugged the other 1st class passengers!!
-Layover: Our first flight got in 1/2 early and our 2nd flight left an hour late so our 2 1/2 hour layover turned into a 4 hour layover.  Luckily the kids did well with very limited whining.  
-Last flight: We ha the most amazing flight attendant.  I wish I had gotten her name so I could call her supervisor and tell them to give her a big bonus!!  She kept talking to Morgan and Cole about how exciting it was going to be for them, etc.  She was one of the Spanish speakers for the flight and talked to them about that also.  She brought all the kids a set of "wings" and made arrangement with the captain for the kids to visit him and get their pictures taken in the cockpit after the flight.  Even though our plane didn't land until 1 1/2 hours after the little ones are usually in bed, they did great!  Alysa curled up and fell asleep during the landing though.
-Airport: We made it through immigration with no problems.  WE got several stares/laughs/puzzled looks when we started pulling off our luggage.  I'm not sure how it all happened but we ended up with about 4 people checking our bags and loading them onto two huge carts.  Two of the men then took us to customs.  Of course the one pieced of luggage that I was worried about was the 1st one they opened.  It was a big box with m Bosch mixer, wheat grinder, as well as odd baking items that I thought they'd give me a hard time for....powdered lechithin, powdered honey, wheat gluten, dough enhancer, etc.  I think they gave up on the box after digging through the packaging material.  (Instead of packaging peanuts, I used a bunch of candy.)  THey opened several more bags and then sent us on our way. 
-To the hotel:  The hotel shuttle was a 12 person van.  The two carts of luggage looked bigger than the van but the Guatemalan people continue to amaze me with their packing skills!   I always thought I was the best Tetris player with cramming as much into one space as possible but they put me to shame!  They managed to get every single piece of luggage and all 6 of us in the van.  Granted we were traveling "Mayan style" sitting on laps!  Once we got to the hotel we were all about ready to collapse!  Our bodies were exhausted but our minds wouldn't shut down.  It was very late before I could finally fall asleep!!

No comments:

Post a Comment