Today was more of the same....kids to school...Chris to work....me attempting to get something accomplished. Now that we are getting a little more settled and used to our surroundings, and having a routine, life isn't quite as exciting to write about.
One exciting thing that has happened is that Cole has learned to write in cursive in about a week! The children here learn to write in cursive a lot earlier than in the states so he was really struggling to read what was written in class sometimes. I had him practice his letters but this week his teacher suggested getting him a cursive practice book so he could learn to put the letters together. Instead, I made him a page of cursive words. He did the whole page all by himself! When I checked it I realized that not only did he copy all of the words that I had written but he also translated the word and wrote them in Spanish!! The first word that he did was numbers. In Spanish it is numeros. When he turned the page into his teacher, she marked that word wrong until she found out that he had done it in Spanish!! He fooled me also!
The ward was having a food storage activity where everybody brought their food and they sealed them in mylar bags. I didn't take any food but I went to watch and to interact with people. I was able to carry on a somewhat lengthy conversation with my friend Vilma. She is patient with me!! I also went to practice the piano for a little while. It was kind of awkward when a bunch of people came in to listen and wouldn't leave!! I felt like I was doing a recital or something!!
5/15/09
Laina wasn’t too happy this morning when we left for school and she had to sit in her booter seat with her strap on. She has been practicing the art of pouting and I have to say, she is getting very good at it! She finally calmed down after I sat in the back seat between two booster seats with her!! What a comfortable drive to school.
Today for school, Cole had to dress up as something that he wants to be when he grows up. He decided to be a construction worker. He was very uncomfortable wearing something different to school but he began to like the idea when his Daddy helped him find a hard hat, safety vest, cell phone, and a set of blueprints. Cole thought it was pretty funny to pretend to yell on the phone!! He’s ready for management!
It was so nice to pick the kids up today and not have to rush to get homework done! We were even able to take the kids out to lunch with Chris. The kids and Chris are having a hard time adjusting to not being together as much as they had been when we first got here.
Chris went back to work and the kids and I spent the rest of the afternoon playing the wii and doing homework notebooks. Alysa LOVES having homework to do!! She is learning to read and doing a great job.
5/16/09
This morning I got up and made orange rolls. I haven't made those in so long. The kids were glad that it was Vincente's day so that they could take one to him. They were concerned that I only made treats on Mario's day and that Vincente was left out. (Our security guards). Cole took one to him and told him that his friends would be coming over and to let them through the gate. We had all the Orellana boys come over. Laina was sad that Izabella didn't come but she went to Guatemala City with Lily. Cole is just loving the fact that there are boys around rather than a neighborhood of only girls!! They played outside forever. They also spent some time playing the wii. The kids all liked making their own mii’s. (players for the games that look like you). My kids have also made mii’s for their cousins!
The kids were in high heaven when they got to have macaroni and cheese with hot dogs for lunch. It’s a rarity here!! Macaroni and cheese is definitely more expensive here than in the states!
After we took the boys home, we went to look at some log furniture that we had seen on the side of the road by the school. The furniture was amazing!! It would be perfect in my parents cabin!! I really like the rustic log furniture.
(Notice the old gray Subaru in the background. I know that some day I am going to come across my old red one. All of the 80's cars are down here!)
Unfortunately we won’t be here long enough to justify buying any of it….especially since we won’t be able to take it with us when we leave! We left there and went back to our other favorite side of the road furniture stand. We asked them to make a couple more pieces of furniture for us….a table for the keyboard, a toychest/table, chair, and another bookshelf for the study. Our “study has been serving lots of roles…office, sewing room, music room, craftroom, classroom, etc. We have stuck maps, posters, and Spanish stuff all over the walls.
After the kids are in bed, Chris and I have been watching the '24' series. We had 5 episodes of season 4 left so we tried to have a marathon. Once again, I failed and fell asleep during the last episode!! I don’t know what we are going to do when we’re done with season 5. The kids are getting pretty sick of all of the same movies. We need to expand our library!
5/17/09
We had another good day at church. Playing the piano went o.k. I didn’t feel great about it but Chris said that it sounded good. (Yes, I am a recovering perfectionist) I was so cold and nervous that I was shaking the entire time I was on the stand. (We definitely need to invest in some more sweaters for the family!!) The three older kids went to class by themselves and I went to Sunbeams with Laina. (More for me than for her!! Gospel Doctrine is just way too much for me still!) Relief Society was about the same. Even though I really can’t put anything together, I am definitely understanding a lot more than when we first got here. Chris also got a calling today. He has been asked to teach in the Elders Quorum. He asked the bishopric if they seriously thought his Spanish was good enough to teach a class. Either it really is good enough or they are really desperate for a teacher! (:
On the way home from church, Morgan said that she is starting to like church here more. She said she is getting used to it and feeling more comfortable.
I am liking these Sunday afternoon naps….except for having to wake up! Laina has a been extremely cranky in the afternoons lately and hasn’t been able to stay up until bedtime. She gets up at the crack of dawn though!! I figured that I’d lay down with her so she’d take a nap, stay up later, then not wake up so early. I can not believe how long we slept for!
I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. Dave (Chris’ boss) is coming here tomorrow along with the architect, and the boss for the church. I can’t wait to see what things Dave is bringing for us!! It feels like our only connection to the outside world!! I really hope that my Spanish books are coming!!
Since this past weeks posts have been pretty boring, I thought we’d liven things up next week with a trip to Mexico! We can only be in the country for 90 days and then we have to leave for 3 days. Our 90 days is up next weekend so we are going to a town across the border that is about 3 hours from here. Apparently it has Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Home Depot! I’m sure that we’ll have some interesting stories about going through the borders and our stay there!!

Do you want me to send you some sweaters? Of course you could mail the log furniture to us!
ReplyDelete