Sunday, March 14, 2010

3/14/10-3/20/10

Sunday, 3/14/10
UGH! I was asked today to play the piano for stake conference next week. At least I only have to play for the Saturday night session and Sis. Chaney (the other American) will be conducting. So, I felt like a complete idiot in Sunday School. I was trying to read my picture Book of Mormon (you know the ones for kids that look sort of like comic book strips!) in Spanish! A lady was sitting next to me and kept looking over at me. To make it worse, I had to look up a ton of words in the dictionary! Hey, at least I'm trying!! I think she felt bad for me because she came and sat next to me in Relief Society also and was trying to help me with some of the things.

Monday, 3/15/10
We had a good day today and we were able to get some stuff done around the house. More of the usual.
The girls LOVE to eat breakfast with Daddy in the morning!

Tuesday, 3/16/10
I almost had a panic attack today. After I finished teaching piano lessons, I went to get all of the kids loaded into the car. I could only find one of the 5 kids though. We spent 20 minutes going around the development trying to find them. We finally found them inside a house that is under construction that Morgan and Cole have been told NOT to go into!! UGH!! It is a good thing that the Orellana boys were with them or Morgan and Cole would have really gotten it!
I went to a district activity at Lily's house this afternoon. We were learning to make pan de papa. (Potato bread). I am understanding a little bit more but it is so hard in group settings!! I try to concentrate on one person and then another person starts talking and then another and I just can't keep up! Lily told me that she met a person in a worse situation than me today. A guy was down here doing a service project fixing houses. He was partnered up with Hermana Sak's husband. Well, this guy doesn't know a word of Spanish and Hermano Sak doesn't know a word of English. The ladies at the district meeting were joking about how these two were going to survive working today. They thought it was hilarious when I said that men don't need to talk. That was the first time that I said something since we moved here that I felt like people were laughing at the humor and not at me!

L to R: Norma Perez, Francisca, Emiliana, Lily, Blanca Sak.

L to R: Cristina Santos, Vanessa Sak, Norma, Francisca, Emiliana
Cristina and Francisca are sisters and their cousins are the husbands of Vanessa and Blanca.

This is the tiny grater that they use to mince garlic. As for me, I still prefer my garlic press!!
At the piano class, there were 12 people and I was on my own!! My "partner in crime", Paula didn't have a sitter for her baby and so I was trying to teach all by myself. There were a couple of new boys that showed up also! They were two brothers and one is a guitar teacher. They both had a pretty good music background and knew everything that we are covering. I definitely need different levels of classes.
Choir was great as usual. We are already working on the new practice song for April. We are using three parts this time!! I think we'll have to come up with another song to work on when it is actually April!!

Wednesday, 3/17/10
Tonight I got to practice at the stake center with Sis. Chaney. The songs were so FAST!! I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with her!
Along with the dry season comes the moscas (flies). Our house is so full of flies and they drive me nuts! I have decided that I want to get a pet frog to eat all of the flies.

Cole's volcano for school.

Laina was just a little tired! Love her St. Patricks day outfit!!

Thursday, 3/18/10
Cole's Social Studies question for today:
"If you moved to a new country, what do you think would be the hardest thing to learn? What would be the easiest?"
His response: Hardest: to learn to eat their food. Easiest; to get to know the community.

While the girls were at preschool, I spent the entire time talking to my sister, Brittany. I am so excited because she finally got her tickets to come visit us!! I can not wait for her and her husband and daughter to get here!
After preschool, we went to the Thomas's to hang out for a while. The kids had so much fun playing and seeing all the animals at the neighbor's. Following all of the playing, we went to the church for an activity. It was a water gardening class which I wasn't getting a whole lot out of. Between that and being tired and the girls interrupting the class ever 5 minutes, I finally gave up and went home. The kids were so worn out. They were even too exhausted to eat their food! The older kids have been reading until 8:30 0r 9:00 but they didn't even ask to read when they went into their rooms at 7:45! It was such a wonderful evening!!

Friday, 3/19/10
Lily invited us over for some scrapbooking. Since I'm not a huge scrapbooker (especially since I have absolutely NO supplies or pictures here!) she decided to cook us some tortillas instead. The girls had a wonderful time shaping the dough into circles. Morgan was more than content making a couple of scrapbook pages with Lily's supplies. Cole...well, I didn't even see him once he took off with Georgy! We had a great time and we all left with full bellies! Lily told Morgan about another class at the church where they are learning to make jewelry. Morgan begged me to let her go so we spent yet another afternoon at the church. It gave me a chance to practice the piano some more while she made a pair of way to heavy earrings! Alysa and Laina felt left out so I let them buy some supplies and make necklaces.

Saturday, 3/20/10
Chris surprised us all and asked if we wanted to go out to breakfast today. The kids were more than excited to get to go to McDonalds. Cole was especially happy that one of his best friends from the Beehive school was there. They played in the "playplace" forever!!
(This reminded me of "BEN", our old Jeep from way back when!!!)
Next, we stopped by the temple site. I think it is hilarious to see the ladies in their traditional dress, with big baskets on their heads, and fluorescent safety vests!! It's even better when they have the hard hats on! They are required to wear them to come onto the job site to sell the food to the workers!


After some driving around and running a quick errand, we went to visit Hermana Sak's hair salon. Everybody got their hair cut except for Alysa who was a little too shy. Hermana Sak is another great lady that is patient with me. I don't always understand what she is saying but she tries and hasn't given up on me!

I was pretty nervous about playing for the stake tonight. I knew that I had practiced enough and that I was just going to have to trust that the Lord would help me to not pass out! The songs all went very well with limited mistakes. I even noticed that my heart didn't feel like it was going to explode from beating so fast! I must either be getting more comfortable, my heart has given up on beating, or the Lord was helping me a ton! I think it was the last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment