We survived our first night in our house.....even with no water. Yes, we returned back to the house around 9:30 and there was no water at all. Other than that, the night was chilly but good. It was definitely quieter than at the hotels.
The morning was spent trying to get the water back on. Apparently we are on a well with the community and the landscapers left something going and used up all the water. It has been corrected and we now have water but we have no hot water. The electric water heater isn't doing anything!! Chris has been going crazy trying to fix the water situations here but everything is so different than in the U.S. He's also been trying to hook up the washing machine.
The day was full of repeated trips to the stores and back to the house since there is no room in the little van/car to fit anything that we buy!! I can't begin to count how many times I had to say 'No hablo espanol" today. Every aisle I would go down somebody would try to help me. It was pretty weird that they don't sell very many dryers here. Apparently everybody just hangs their laundry to dry. Chris had to leave the kids and I at the house so he could get a dryer and fit it in the van. After several hours, I was starting to get pretty worried that something dreadful had happened. The panic set in that I was in a place all by myself, had no home phone or cell phone to call anybody....not that there was anybody for me to call anyway!! The only person near by was the security guard that I can't communicate with anyway! I have to say that I did quite the happy dance when I saw the security guard run around to open the gate to let Chris in!! Needless to say, getting a cell phone for me is going to be a top priority this week!!
Our last trip in town was a good one. We found a little restaurant with a great play place in it. The kids had so much fun playing but I think the highlight of it was when a couple Guatemalan kids started talking to our kids in English. The kids were so excited to understand what somebody was saying to them. After we finished eating, Chris stayed with the kids while they played and I ran over to the Hiper Paiz (Super Walmart). On my way I saw a couple of elders. I couldn't decide if they spoke English or not so I almost didn't stop. I turned and saw a third elder that was about Chris' height with my color of hair. I figured he had to speak English. Turns out that he's from Dallas, Texas. He gave us their number and said to call them and they'd give us the number for the elders in our area. I was so excited to find out where our church is!!
A random thing that I've noticed here is that there are always fires. Just today the workers on the house closest to ours built a fire on the lot. I'm not exactly sure why but it constantly smells like fire. Alysa said that it smells like roasting marshmallows!!
Our Spanish word of the day: Mas = more
Pictures are from our development.

No comments:
Post a Comment