Thursday, March 12, 2009

3/12/09

AHHH, It was wonderful to try to sleep in today. After yesterday's marathon we were desperately in need of some sleep. Chris had some work to do so the kids and I went out for a while. We walked to the park and played for a while. I wrote down in my notes how much I like our area. It is so beautiful, open, peaceful, quiet, and gorgeous. As soon as I finished writing that, the owner of the land where the house was build came over and introduced himself to us. He asked if we liked how quiet it is. I showed him my notes and he laughed. He said that he is going to send his wife over to visit with me and that if we ever need anything that their house is open to us. I have been very pleased with how friendly and helpful everybody has been for us.
After he left, the kids and I decided to be really adventurous and go for a walk....outside of the gates!! It took enough courage to try to talk to the guard as we walked out. It was a fill in since our favorite guard, Mario, is sick today. The kids were a little disappointed that they didn't get to say 'hola' to Mario. We walked to the tennis club but didn't try to go in. We then went a different way that we have never been before. We found a tortilleria right by us that I didn't know was there. We found more houses, cows, and actually stopped and tried to talk with a lady that had two little girls with her. She said that it was her house and I tried to explain where we lived. We exchanged names, and ages of our kids and then tried to say more but neither of us could figure out what the other was saying!! It was a good start though.
Things I want to do: Learn to weave, make tortillas, play the marimba, go on a Book of Mormon trip, and visit Tikal. I found out yesterday that our visa's our only good for 3 months. At the end of the 3 months we have to leave the country for 3 days. I think we'll be spending a little time in Mexico if that's the case!

No comments:

Post a Comment