Thursday, March 19, 2009

3/17-3/18/09




Tuesday was a pretty boring day. I didn't even leave the development. I think we're getting to the point of having the house almost all put together and getting a little bored. I did get my sewing machine out for the first time and was able to make sure it wasn't damaged on the way here.
Word of the day: Jacket - we think it's Chumpa here but not positive.

Wednesday was fun, more productive, and miserable all at the same time. I must have eaten something bad because I was sick all day. It wasn't too bad in the morning when we went out but by the afternoon/evening, I was pretty miserable. Fortunately, it was just me and not the whole family!
We found a couple of fabric stores. I was trying to find some flannel to make baby blankets for a baby shower but no luck. I did find a shop that had pretty inexpensive fleece though!! I might have to make some more fleece blankets for the house! At one store there was an older lady working that was sitting on the floor. She grabbed Laina to hug her which completely caught Laina off guard. She was pretty scared but got over it. The other kids learned from Laina and kept their distance!!
We stopped by the grocery store and a lady from our ward was there and waved to us. I probably wouldn't have recognized her but Morgan did. We were able to exchange names and that was about it.
On the way home, we stopped at a little furniture place on the side of the road. There is a group of men that bring handmade wood furniture in from their village twice a week to sell it. We've stopped almost every time to see what they have and what we need. We ended up ordering about 10 pieces of furniture for the house. They said that over the next two weeks they should have it all done. The best part is that it is cheaper than buying similar items made out of cheap plastic at the stores!!
Living here in Guatemala reminds me a little of being at my parents cabin. The house is so peaceful. I love waking up every morning and looking out our window at the mountains, the volcano, the open field with its old, fallen apart house, and the big trees. It always makes me smile when I see the chickens run across the field. I am so glad that we decided on this house a little ways out of town and away from all the craziness!
Pictures: A park that we walked through today. The purple flowers are for my mom...and no, I don't have a clue what they are called!!
Word(s) of the day: Cuantos anos tiene? How old are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment