Monday, March 9, 2009

3/9/09-3/10/09




Nothing really different has happened these past two days. Just more shopping. We have had a random leak in our kitchen. Every once in a while we'll have a layer of water on the floor. We came home the other night and the whole kitchen was covered. We had the builder come out.....again. He had to get a crew of guys over and they pulled out all of the kitchen cabinets on Monday. They had to tear out all sorts of concrete outside to find the problem. Tuesday they tried to repair the concrete holes. So far no more leaks.
Tuesday morning we went to visit the American school here in Xela. It is a private organization that runs it with "missionaries" serving as the teachers for a year or two. The entire schooling is done in English. They have a library, computer lab, etc. We got a nice tour of the campus and the kids were all very excited. We even got an application for me to teach and send all 4 kids. In the applications you have to sign a statement of faith. It basically says that you believe in Christ etc. Chris brought this up to the director and asked if there were any religious requirements to attend the school. He told us that their statement of faith is very broad so that it covers all religions. He then proceeded to say that the only thing they have written down is that they do not accept members of cults including the Jehovahs Witnesses and Mormons. Chris and my hearts just dropped. The worst part was that he said it in front of all the kids. Needless to say we had a nice little talk with the kids on the way home about how some people don't know enough about our church or understand its beliefs and therefore they are scared of it. I don't think we will be pursuing that educational avenue to the huge disappointment of the kids. Right now we are either going to homeschool or talk to a lady that I met at church last Sunday. She told me that she works at a bilingual school. I'll have to get more information from her. The kids really need some interaction with other kids and a better opportunity to learn Spanish than what I can teach them!
On Tuesday afternoon, Laina got so tired she curled up on the 4 day old couch for and fell asleep. A while later she came into the kitchen crying. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I noticed her pants were soaking wet. She had an accident in her sleep all over the new couch!! UGH!! To make matters worst, the couch is one piece....the cushions do not come off so no flipping the cushion over as my brother Matt suggested!! Luckily for us it is the microfiber material so I think we got most of it absorbed off of the couch with the towels!
Different thoughts: I can not find kleenex anywhere!! We have the most see through useless toilet paper in the world. I bought the first package that I saw and I can't wait until the entire package is gone so we can try some different stuff!!
My morning routine has changed a little. With it being so cold when we get up in the morning, I have actually had to blow dry mt hair after I was it!! I NEVER use a blow dryer. The only reason I even brought one was for when Morgan wanted to "style" her hair. I am sooooo glad I brought it!! I also have been putting on moisturizer AND foundation every day!! They both have SPF so that seems to be helping a little with the sun exposure.
Also, we do not have day lights savings here. I believe we are now on the same time as Utah/Idaho. I haven't confirmed that but I think it's the case.
3/9 word of the day: Llamo - name/called
3/10 word of the day: estoy perdido - I'm lost
Picture: Some Mayan statue we saw on the way to the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment