Saturday, March 7, 2009

3/6/09







I attempted to use the stove again this morning to make panqueques (pancakes). Nothing better than getting out of a warm cozy bed to run outside and turn on the gas!! I just have to laugh. I’m sure any of the homebuilders that might have seen me in my pajamas, flannel shirt, crazy hair, and fuzzy slippers would have laughed also! The kids reaction to breakfast was worth all of the cold and embarrassment though. Cole ate 4 by himself!! One benefit to living in Guatemala is that I don’t have to worry about my cooking constantly setting off the smoke detectors…they don’t have them!! I am going to start a book about all of the safety issues here!! Yesterday we saw an electrical pole that was cut in half and was just hanging by the wires!! The homebuilder for the house we’re in was telling Chris that they don’t put in many 3 prong outlets because they don’t use them very much here…..people just cut off the third prong.
A prominent LDS family here owns a furniture store that Chris and I visited when we came down in January. We went back today and finally got a couch, dining table/chairs, and a table for the “school” room. The delivery guys came while Chris was gone so I once again got to try to communicate with very little Spanish. I am getting very good at pointing and grunting!!
We also took the kids out to the temple site for the first time. They thought it was so cool to see where the temple is going to be. I couldn’t believe how dusty it was! The kids really enjoyed climbing the trees on the site. It is sad that the trees are all going to have to be torn down though!! Last weekend we found a place up in the mountains (everything is in the mountains!!) that I thought would be so beautiful for a temple to be. Chris explained that when they decided on the temple site, they had to take into consideration that the majority of the people who will be attending the temple will be coming by public transportation so it had to be close to a bus route.

Word of the day: Despacio - slow

No comments:

Post a Comment