Chris found out last night that the temple ground breaking ceremony is going to be on the 14th. Today they started to move dirt so that they will be able to get cars to the site. It was kind of weird having Chris gone to work. We will most likely need to get another car so that the kids and I aren’t stranded everyday. (That or learn to ride the chicken buses!!)
The novelty of being somewhere different is starting to wear off for the kids. They are showing signs of boredom and missing their friends. Every day they ask when we are going to start school. I’m still not quite ready to start homeschooling!! We don’t have any of the supplies/curriculum yet! Hopefully we’ll be able to get access to the “club” across the street that has a basketball hoop. That will keep Cole busy for a while. We also need to get some tennis rackets and start learning how to play tennis. The kids do enjoy riding their razors and playing at the park. There’s only so much of that that they can do since the sun in SOOO intense here. They can’t leave the house without putting on sunblock!
Chris and I came to the realization today that we are just going to have to live with dust and bugs!! In order to get any heat in the house, we have to open the windows during the day. It is always windy here and we are surrounded by empty farm land and construction work so dust is everywhere!! I will never be able to keep up with the dust. (Yes, a maid is sounding more appealing but I’m still not quite ready for that!) The only bugs that come in are the flies. I am paranoid that a bird is going to fly in!! We had one on the master balcony that kept pecking at the window and fluffing its feathers. Fortunately I had shut the door just a little while before it came over!!
Chris was able to get the stove hooked up today. What an ordeal! He had such a hassle trying to find somebody that would sell him a gas tank. Our landlords dad finally gave us one of his old ones that we could get filled up. Chris got it filled and got the hose to attach it a couple days ago but hasn’t been able to get the hose through to the kitchen. The builder came by today and found a block but was able to correct it. We now have gas to the kitchen stove. It has got to be the scariest thing for me. I can’t even use the barbecue because the idea of gas and fire freaks me out. I am so paranoid that I am going to explode everything!! Anyway, this is how my new stove works: I have to find the monster key chain, unlock the prison door from the laundry room to the back yard, go out and flip the switch on the gas tank (looks like a big propane tank), go back inside, find the matches, light the burners, cook the food, turn off the oven/stove, run back outside and turn the gas off. So, my first meal that I made with the new stove was my usual standby…..spaghetti. I also decided to make some break/rolls (Thank you Sis. Tobler for talking me into bringing my Bosch!!!) . I got the dough all made and went to start the oven. I got it to light without any problems but then realized that there are no temperature settings. There are numbers 1-5. I guessed that 350 degrees would be half way between a 3 and a 4. While the bread was cooking, I started the spaghetti. Remember that I don’t know Spanish and I can’t understand all of the labels at the grocery store. I bought what looked like hamburger meat. Chris didn’t know what the label said either so we concluded that we were probably eating dog or something worse!! It tasted good though.
Well, the rolls/bread turned out pretty good. My guess seemed to work out on the setting. I will definitely need to buy an oven thermometer though!!
Word of the day: Los Siento – I’m sorry

No comments:
Post a Comment