Sunday, March 8, 2009

3/8/09



A few days ago somebody commented that I seemed very stressed out from what I writing in my blog and that they were worried about me. It has bothered me for a few days since I have tried so hard to be optimistic. I don't want my blog to come across as me complaining about things but rather as me trying to share and explain the changes that our family is experiencing. My last Sunday in Las Vegas we had a lesson and our wonderful teacher handed out a little magnet. I brought it all the way to Guatemala with me and have it on my fridge. It says, "Nothing is as constant as change...find joy in the journey - now. -Pres. Monson" I think that my life is full of change right now and I am looking for ways to find joy in the journey. I am truly having fun here and enjoying the journey. Of course there are tough moments and trials that we will be going through but it will only make us stronger. We've been here less than two weeks and it has been life changing already. I look forward to see what the Lord has in store for us over the next couple of years here!

As for today, it has been wonderful. It started out with two new space heaters. I was able to get out of bed and shower without getting hypothermia. It was actually hot last night because Chris had the heater turned on. He sure was pleased with them! We actually got everybody up, dressed, fed, and off to church on time. Church was very eye opening. Each ward has its own building. Our wards building is in our little town of La Esperanza. It is all gated up including bars on every window. The parking lot was very sparce so we figured there wouldn't be very many people. However, when we got in to the chapel there were a lot of people. The chapel floors were all tile and there were no pews - just stacking chairs. I was very worried about taking the kids to an all Spanish sacrament meeting but they didn't seem to mind. There weren't any hymn books. Apparently everybody has to provide their own. A nice sister sitting in front of us turned around and handed us her book. It was very cool to attempt to sing the songs in Spanish. Morgan and Cole were singing with me also. After Sacrament ended we were mobbed!! Everybody was coming up and talking to us. The lady that let us borrow her hymn book spoke very good English and told me that she works at some sort of bilingual school. I was amazed at how many of the members knew at least a little bit of English. I was able talk to many of the sisters and practice my limited Spanish and where I couldn't say something in Spanish they could help me with English. Morgan was surprisingly eager to go to class. There was another girl her age that took her. Cole was very reserved, as was Alysa and Laina. I took Laina to Sunbeams and Alysa joined us a little while later. They were very clingy but learned a few new Spanish words. Their lesson was on taking care of their bodies. There were two sets of missionaries in the ward. One for the ward, and one "elite" set that travels throughout the week to train other missionaries. The "elite" team went to primary with Morgan and Cole and translated for them. Morgan even bore her testimony of the Book of Mormon with them translating for her. There were several little kids that spoke a little bit of English as well. The kids were all very friendly and wanted to be their friends. There was one little girl that wouldn't leave Alysa alone. She even followed Alysa into the bathroom and crawled under the stall door. After class time, Alysa, Laina, and I joined Morgan, Cole, Chris and the Elders for primary exercises. A sister in the ward, Silvia, came in and asked me to come to Relief Society with her. I went but didn't understand a word! Silvia told me that there is an activity on Friday to make "pastels" cakes and I think to exercise. I might have to go check it out. Everybody in the ward was very welcoming. All the sisters gave kisses on the cheek which caught me a little off guard. There were several ladies in the ward that looked very old and very wise. I bet they have some good stories to tell!! I am very excited to get to know the members of the ward and to learn from them. It seems like it will be a great ward.
After church we were able to go home and relax for a while. It was so nice not to go shopping!! Never thought I'd say that! While I was sitting on our new couch (It's so nice to have something to sit on!!), it started shaking. After a second Chris and I both looked at each other and realized that we were having an earthquake. It lasted for about 5 seconds. None of the kids felt a thing. My first thought was that the entire house was going to fall down but nothing did. Maybe it shook the leaking pipes back together and we won't have water all over the kitchen floor any more!! (Wishful thinking!!)
Right as I was attempting to sanitize our vegetables and make dinner, the missionaries came over. It was the traveling missionaries that had helped the kids out in primary. (Elder Anderson and Elder Pogue) They were a great source of information and reassurance for us. They seem to be very good missionaries but unfortunately for us one of them is going home in 3 weeks to Puyallup, Washington. We were able to talk for a while and then asked them to stay for dinner. I was so humiliated though since all we had were hot dogs and potatoes. I had made a pan of brownies and there was left over ice cream from Alysa's birthday so we got by. I will have to have them over again to redeem myself! I think we'll be having the missionaries over for dinner a lot while we are here!

While sitting in church today a thought came into my head. In our last ward, we had a wonderful bishop that constantly challenged me and made me leave my comfort zone. Looking back I realize how much it helped me to grow...even if I hated it at the moment! I truly feel that that was a preparation for me now. There is NO COMFORT ZONE here!! I have two options, I can become a hermit and keep to myself or I can open myself up to those around me and even though it is uncomfortable, I will learn and grow. I have opted to learn and to grow.

1 comment:

  1. When reading the comment about the ladies kissing on the cheek, it made me think (as has your whole experience) about my experiences I had on my mission and the 'things' that made it unique. I can't over state this but - LIVE IN THE MOMENT. The lyrics to the song "You're gonna miss this" come to mind. Just think in another 11 years or so when Cole possibly ends up on his mission back there... how neat is that?

    ReplyDelete