Monday, March 2, 2009

3/1/09






Today was a little more trying for us. We were so excited to get to go to church this morning. It was pretty difficult though when the showers were ice cold!! In the maids quarters there is a bathroom with a separate plug in water heater for the shower. I was the guinea pig and tried to use that shower. I have never been so scared of being electrocuted!! By the time that we gave up on trying to get any hot water, church was half over. We finally just packed up some stuff and headed for a hotel to get a warm shower. On the way we drove by and found our new church. It's crazy that even the church buildings are all gated up!!
After everybody got showered, we did a little exploring. We found a couple new monuments, and some cool views of the city. I think we're kind of starting to get our bearings around here. The big volcano is my landmark. The elevation at our house is over 8000 ft. I can't even imagine how high it is to the top of the volcano.
When we got back to the house, Chris was able to get the washer and dryer hooked up. I attempted to cook dinner. When I bought food for the day, I didn't realize that our stove is gas and that we have to get a gas tank delivered to be able to use it. I had to experiment with new food items that I'm not used to as well as using a microwave to cook everything and also trying to read directions in Spanish!! As worried as I was, it actually tasted pretty good. It is going to be an adjustment to not having a dishwasher. Washing dishes by hand is not one of my favorite things to do! We'll have to get the kids trained real quick!
It was really cold and windy today. Since there is no heat in the house, everybody was bundled up. After dinner all of the kids climbed in our bed and watched a movie on the computer. We still don't have any furniture except for our beds!
Some of the things that I've noticed here:
Cheese is hard to find and expensive.
There is a constant layer of dust on everything.   There are gaps in all of the doors and dust just comes right in.....and bugs. Plus there are no screens on any of the windows!
Every single door (even the pantry) in the house has a lock and each lock has a separate key. The key ring for the house is HUGE!
Everything is small. I can barely fit a pan in the sink! The girls love the little tiny toilets. The handicap stalls are about the size of the toilets in the church nurseries.
The sun goes directly over head. The sun doesn't shine in on the sides of the house. I keep waiting for the sun to come into the kitchen but it just goes over top.
Our word for the day: Acetuna = olive
With it being the Sabbath, we didn't do as much running around and had a little more time to think. I think I do much better when I don't have time to think. It's going to be weird when we get settled and Chris goes to work. I don't know what I am going to do!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina,
    You know I really admire you guys for taking off on this adventure. I'm sure it will be something you will all be very proud of for the rest of your lives. You are far braver than I could ever be. Must be your young age. Anyway, I wish you all the best and am really excited about following your adventure all the way through with this blog of yours. Say hi to everyone for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much fun reading your blog and following your adventures as you are getting settled. Great blog...thanks for sharing.
    We miss you all.
    Jan T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am glad I can follow your blog and see what new things are coming your way.

    ReplyDelete