Today was a little more of the same. More shopping...I think grocery shopping is the hardest!! I don't know what anything is. Everything seems to be different. It's kind of funny that the stuff imported from the U.S. is often cheaper than the local stuff!! Weird! I want to make chocolate chip cookies (once I get an oven that works - still no gas - maybe tomorrow) but I don't know how they will turn out. It'll be an experience...as is everything we are doing!! Not only is it difficult to have all the ingredients different but all of my cooking supplies are different also. I sure miss my Tupperware!! The thought even crossed my mind to order some at full price!! (Full price and Kristina definitely don't go together!)
Before we came down here, we tried to figure out how to access our money. We can't open an account here since we really don't exist!! We figured out that we could open a Citibank account in Las Vegas and use our ATM card to pull out money here at the Citibank. Not so easy!! The Citibank in the U.S. only issues Mastercards.....here, they only use Visa. Plus, the ATM at the Citibank isn't even a Citibank ATM!! Go figure. On top of that, we just found out that every time we use our Visa credit card, they are charging us an exchange fee. UGH!!
Ever since we found out about the opportunity to come to Guatemala, I've felt like there is some sort of service that I need to be doing. I'm not exactly sure what it is but yesterday I thought about collecting temple clothes for the locals here to have when their new temple opens. If anybody has any thoughts or would like to help me, let me know!!
My biggest frustration right now is not having any curtains. All the windows have curtain rods but I can not find anything that stands out to me. This is one of those moments when my mom needs to be here to do it for me. For now though, we've got blankets covering the bedroom windows with clothespins. With it being so incredibly cold at night, we could really use those blankets on the beds!! We even broke down and bought everybody slippers last night. Wow, they made a world of difference this morning. Not to mention having hot water and being able to take a warm shower!! One thing that I would really like to have that they don't have down here are flannel sheets. We've been covering our pillows with fleece or flannel jackets so that they are a little warmer! Yes, we should probably go invest in some space heaters.
Even though we have a ways to go, it is starting to feel a little more comfortable. Our landlord brought over a plastic table and chairs for us to borrow until we get our own table. Dinner tonight was our first meal that we actually got to sit down together for!!
Today was Alysa's 5th birhday. We couldn't make her cake (she was devastated that we didn't make it yesterday) so Chris went and picked one up at the Xelapan. She seemed to be happy and enjoyed the gifts that she got. Make up...more make up....beads...more beads and a little plastic table with chairs.

Happy Birthday Lyssa. Hope you had fun in you new home. I missed seeing you at church on Sunday. Have a good birthday week.
ReplyDeleteTabitha